Nymph Feeding Help

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jxh11215

Reaction score
I purchased a Mantis Kit for my grandson and when they hatched, bought fruit flies from Petco. Doesn't look like the babies are interested in eating them and a couple have died. Do they eat at night or should I be able to see some type of aggresive action?

I know that I'm a novice compared to most that I've seen on this forum and hopefully my mantids aren't mutts :( , but any advice?

Just wait, it wont be long until they "snatch and munch" each other! :lol:
A couple of weeks later, a LOT of them were still alive so I ended up placing about 20 around my garden. My Vermicomposter produces many fruitflies so I moved it close to my plants. Much to my surprise, the ladybugs, wasps (not sure what kind, but non-aggressive) and mantids seem to be getting along fine. Apparently the little guys are finding enough food because they are significantly larger then when 1st hatched. They've kept up in size with the few that I've kept.

Now that I've impressed you all with my success :p , I've got what I feel is an obvious question, but can't really find the answer; I'm in the midst of a minor house remodel--that and work really limit my research time.

I've got these fruit flies from Petco. One of them has translucent things all over the sides--I'm thinking eggs? babies? What are these things? Also small worms in the bottom, plus dozens of live flies. Which are the best to start/maintain my own or should I just keep them as is? Is there a ff 'guide' anywhere?

I've got these fruit flies from Petco. One of them has translucent things all over the sides--I'm thinking eggs? babies? What are these things? Also small worms in the bottom, plus dozens of live flies. Which are the best to start/maintain my own or should I just keep them as is? Is there a ff 'guide' anywhere?
They sound like mites.

The "small worms" are infant fruit flies.

Start your own cultures in 32 oz pots.

Start with http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9521 then check the fruit fly threads in the Food and Feeding section. The "masa flour" one is one of the longest threads on the forum!

Good luck, and congratulations on your success outside! :D

A couple of weeks later, a LOT of them were still alive so I ended up placing about 20 around my garden. My Vermicomposter produces many fruitflies so I moved it close to my plants. Much to my surprise, the ladybugs, wasps (not sure what kind, but non-aggressive) and mantids seem to be getting along fine. Apparently the little guys are finding enough food because they are significantly larger then when 1st hatched. They've kept up in size with the few that I've kept.Now that I've impressed you all with my success :p , I've got what I feel is an obvious question, but can't really find the answer; I'm in the midst of a minor house remodel--that and work really limit my research time.

You can find all you want to know about ff's by seaching here. Those things on the sides are most likely the cases of the flies that they leave when they crawl out of the medium to pupate. The worms are the maggots.

You can find all you want to know about ff's by seaching here. Those things on the sides are most likely the cases of the flies that they leave when they crawl out of the medium to pupate. The worms are the maggots.
Haha! I thought that you were seeing "translucent things" on the ffs! As Rick says, they are empty pupa cases. :D

Latest posts