Nymph Molting

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering how frequently nymphs molt. I have currently have two nymphs that are about half an inch long and one about an inch long (I haven't been able to identify the species). I ordered them from a mantis breeder (I originally ordered one Giant Asian mantis nymph, but she sent me two other mystery ones) and when they arrived, the two smaller ones were labeled "shield", so I'm assuming they're shield mantises but I'm not sure. I'll post some photos later and try to get them all identified.

If they were labeled as shield mantids then that is what they are.

I keep track on a notepad when all of mine molt, and everyone is right. It just depends. Some molt in 7-10 day intervals, some will molt once a month. Mine have all gotten less frequent as they get larger too. If you keep track of them and watch their behavior, then they become easier to predict in my experience.

Thanks for all the advice! I've started to keep track of when the molts occur, and it just so happened that my mantises all molted a few days after I posted my question.

If they were labeled as shield mantids then that is what they are.
I can definitely tell they're shields now, but on the packaging, the shield labels were scratched out and replaced with "Asian", then re-written again on the opposite side. I was quite confused.

Latest posts