Ohaple's Vivarium Setups

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohaple

Reaction score
I have posted about these setups in other threads but thought I would compile them into one place in case anyone can learn from our experience making small mantis vivariums.

We are using the NEHERP Vivarium Construction 101 as our guide: http://www.neherpetoculture.com/vivariumconstruction101

We will need to modify their requirements to make the smaller enclosures work. Their guide assumes a 10gallon tank or larger. The smaller enclosures pose a challenge since fluctuations in temperature or humidity can be a problem as can overcrowding. Budget is also a concern. It is nearly free to keep a ghost mantis in a deli cup with some paper towel and sticks, but a bioactive setup requires drainage, a larger enclosure, better substrate, the live plants, proper heat, and adequate methods to measure heat and humidity. We are trying to get this done for as cheap as possible. I would guess $100 each including the enclosure, electronics, microfauna, plants, etc. We also will not be allowing the vivarium to cycle 4-6 weeks like is recommended, because we are impatient.

Version 1.0

We started by building custom enclosures using the 3x height 2x width ratio that I see posted almost everywhere. The species that will go in the vivariums are giant rainforest (gets about 4") and peacock mantis (gets about 3.5") with those numbers in mind we built the enclosures. I had originally thought that the rainforest would only get 3.5" so I made the enclosures about 11" tall. We will have to move him out when he is full grown, but the vivarium will still be suitable for our ghosts.

lB1Hl8ml.jpg

We made our first attempt at the vivarium using lucky bamboo and a vining plant. Gravel for the drainage layer, a mix of ZooMed Creature Soil and sphagnum moss for the substrate. Microfauna includes springtails and dwarf white isopods.

grMBuVLl.jpg

This setup has been fine for the last couple of weeks, but the light pictured is not sufficient for plant growth. The lucky bamboo started having problems until we switched to a more powerful light. As time went, we also found the NEHERP resource and realized we made a few other mistakes. That said, Carl, our giant rainforest mantis has enjoyed the variety and readily moves around the enclosure, top to bottom. He uses the wood and the bamboo to climb on and hangs out less on his lid, which I take as a good sign. We used a stick-on thermometer/hygrometer to keep our eye on those, and a stick-on heater for the back of the enclosure rather than trying to heat through the substrate. Heating through the substrate is not a great idea because it will not adequately heat the enclosure unless you use a lot of heat, in which case the humidity spikes. Heating on the back has been much better and allows him a nice temperature gradient to choose where he is comfortable.

Version 2.0

So, now knowing our mistakes, we are working on version 2.0. We took Carl out and put him in a larger enclosure while we do construction on his primary enclosure. We learned that you should keep some standing water in the drainage layer and that the mesh separating the drainage layer and soil should be large enough for springtails to pass through. In order to allow standing water, we needed to seal the enclosure better.

Our initial construction was almost watertight, but had a couple leaks. So we took out the substrate and plants etc, and cleaned out the enclosure. Then we used silicone to seal the bottom seams and 3" up the side seams, so you won't see the silicone above the substrate but it will be watertight in the places it is important.

We were also unhappy with the dwarf white isopods. Not in their performance, but in their visual appearance. They seem to clean well and reproduce quickly, but we can never seem to see them. Part of the enjoyment is seeing the bioactive processes at work. We can see the springtails in the drainage layer. We ordered several giant canyon isopods, which should also be suitable and much easier to see due to the larger size. We will still use the dwarf whites as well.

We were not happy with the luck bamboo or the little vine we got. The bamboo requires too much water and will grow too quickly. We ordered a variety of other plants from Josh'sFrogs to allow us to try out new types

• Syngonium podophyllum 'Mini Pixie' - Super Dwarf Butterfly PlantPLANT5471$4.49
  • Neoregelia 'Zoe'PLANT1701$6.99
  • Fresh Mood Moss (1 Quart)PLANT5501$6.99
  • Selaginella martensii 'Jori Spikemoss'PLANT2801$4.49
  • Philodendron 'Wend-imbe'PLANT4111$7.99
  • Neoregelia 'Tiger Cub'PLANT0741$6.99
We also got a more powerful light. The light is hooked to a timer, and the heat is hooker to a thermostat to keep a nice even temperature and day/night cycle.

The plants and isopods will be delivered tomorrow. We will need to use more substrate and drainage this time around since we didn't use enough last time. I am hopeful that we can get the setup balanced and healthy so we can enjoy the live plants, microfauna, and mantids in a more natural setup. This whole thing will be duplicated, one for Carl and one for our peacock mantis. They will have different plants for variety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really nice setups! I have too many mantises currently to do this, I keep mine in deli cups with paper towels due to cost and ease of care. Looking at these definitely makes me peanut butter and JEALOUS! Wish I could afford like 20 of these, lol.

Keep us posted on how the new additions to the vivariums work out for you! 

Really nice setups! I have too many mantises currently to do this, I keep mine in deli cups with paper towels due to cost and ease of care. Looking at these definitely makes me peanut butter and JEALOUS! Wish I could afford like 20 of these, lol.

Keep us posted on how the new additions to the vivariums work out for you! 
Thanks, I totally understand that its not for everyone. It is more expensive and more work to setup. We are going with more standard enclosures for our ghosts, with just some substrate and cork and sticks and fake plants, because we don't want the effort or cost associated with doing all of them bioactive. I can't remember who it is on here, but someone has a great shelf with cheese ball containers and deli cups (something to do with heat cable?) that looks awesome and I would assume is pretty affordable and easy to maintain. EDIT: It is @Synapze

This is what we are doing for the non-bioactive setups:

bhDuHLHl.jpg

l11tIKSl.jpg

ufaAJpXl.jpg

qFmkl4Zl.jpg

I can't remember who it is on here, but someone has a great shelf with cheese ball containers and deli cups (something to do with heat cable?) that looks awesome and I would assume is pretty affordable and easy to maintain. 
Thanks, yes they are very easy to maintain. If I had to guess, each large container cost about $6.00. That's with gravel, vent insert, and humidity meter... and of course the container. I don't like cheese balls, so my friends love it when I make a new enclosure. ? I didn't want to invest much until I made sure I would enjoy the hobby and I stuck with them simply because they worked. Eventually, I plan to decrease my collection and only keep two or three at a time. That's when I'm going to copy your ideas, so please keep sharing! ?

Thanks, yes they are very easy to maintain. If I had to guess, each large container cost about $6.00. That's with gravel, vent insert, and humidity meter... and of course the container. I don't like cheese balls, so my friends love it when I make a new enclosure. ? I didn't want to invest much until I made sure I would enjoy the hobby and I stuck with them simply because they worked. Eventually, I plan to decrease my collection and only keep two or three at a time. That's when I'm going to copy your ideas, so please keep sharing! ?
I will be sure to share as we learn. Your setup looks very nice and clean, among the best I have seen, especially for keeping so many specimens.

We got the plants and isopods in the mail today. The plants all look great, but the isopods delivered were powder orange and not giant canyon.

We put down a new layer of gravel deeper than the first time. Then mesh. Then the substrate. We then put five or ten dwarf white isopods in each container. Then we poured many springtails in.

Then we got to planting. We decided to put one bromeliad in each, a wood feature in each, and leafy plants in each. After arranging them, we crushed a few leaves on top of the substrate and placed a couple more. Both have heat pads on back and lights for the top. We put the powder orange isopods in the enclosure for the peacock, since they are faster moving.

Here they are. They need a few days to sit and acclimate. We are looking forward to putting the mantids in.

Giant rainforest mantis enclosure (springtails, dwarf white isopods, mood moss, zoe bromeliad, jori spikemoss)

Y3NPEac.jpg

CTNkmly.jpg

Peacock mantis enclosure (springtails, dwarf white isopods, powder orange isopods, mood moss, tiger cub bromeliad, philodendron, dwarf butterfly plant)

FNC20ZI.jpg

XyQG9US.jpg

dTEsXVI.jpg

SyBIJmf.jpg

eqAW12a.jpg

After seeing how much more active above the surface the powder orange isopods are compared to the dwarf whites, I am somewhat concerned that they will become expensive dinner for the mantids. The peacock is a picky and doesnt actively hunt much, but our giant rainforest mantis, Carl, is a very active hunter and often will come down to the lower third of his enclosure. If he sees them running around I am certain he will be on the hunt. I am hoping that the giant canyon isopods are slower moving and less appetizing to him. At about $2 each plus the expensive shipping, I would rather he not eat them all. We might hold back most of them to start a culture so that we can breed more. At their size, 3 should be plenty, especially when coupled with the dwarf whites and isopods.

Some of the plants are from temperate deciduous forests, while others are from tropical rainforests, which is a little disjointed. If I were to do this again, I would probably spend more time researching the plants in the region the mantis is from to create a more authentic display.

My wife is excited by the powder orange isopods and thinks they are pretty cute. Hopefully we are able to establish a healthy population of them and keep all the plants alive. Fingers crossed.

Also, I forgot to post overview photos and construction photos last night.

Here are the plants when they arrived:

pR0p7Znl.jpg

Here are the powder orange isopods in the shipping container:

Q7iofFul.jpg

We set the drainage layer and mesh and substrate in with the bottom silicone sealed now. Both the substrate and drainage layer are shallower than most vivariums since we are working with limited space.

37Gf8tdl.jpg

Then we started setting up plants

jt45EK6l.jpg

And finally, here is how they look from a distance:

Nx0yMnll.jpg

Can you tell us what lights you are using in the last picture?  They look nice.

Of course. They are the smallest of the Nicrew lights on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0191EWII2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are low heat, pretty bright, seem to be doing well with the plants, and are a neutral white color. Also they are cheap at only $17. The downside is that the moonlight mode requires you to flip the switch manually, so if you are like me and have the lights on a timer you will just get on and off without any sunrise or sunset.

We decided to continue to wait before adding the mantids back. I believe that both of the larger ones are close to molting (L5 peacock hasnt molted since at least Oct. 1, and L6 giant rainforest hasn't molted since October 2). I don't want them to get into this new experimental setup while a molt is imminent.

Josh's Frogs said they would send the isopods we ordered on Monday, so we will end up with a different variety in each enclosure. 

Not more than 24 hours after we set it up and planted it, the grapewood started to mold in a few places. I have read about this happening with some other people's terrariums as well. But then, another day later, the area was swarming with springtails. Another day, and half the mold is gone. The microfauna really seems to be doing its job.

Here it is when to springtails first showed up. the mold is on the wood in the bottom left.

SNCQqqil.jpg

Here is the next day. They really are making short work of it.

AL3Zr5ol.jpg

The plants seem to be getting a little less wilted after the shipping process as well. We got the electronics bought and hooked up so that the lights and heaters will all be automated. To save money we are only using one timer for both lights, and one thermostat for the two heating pads. It has been pretty consistently 78 degrees and 60% humidity.

A little update, the cycling is going great. The springtails have been breeding like crazy and took care of all of the mold. Since Carl just molted last night, we are planning to put him in soon! I have been doing more research and it sounds like this mold cycle is beneficial and sometimes you even will get mushrooms that pop up from time to time.

DqczlNEl.jpg

I am somewhat disappointed in the dwarf white isopods so far. While we only seeded about 10-15 into each enclosure, we haven't seen a single one helping with mold or other waste. They might be doing their jobs inside the soil, but we have no real way to know.

Congratulations on the molt! I hope your dwarf white isopods will do what you want them to!

- MantisGirl13

Congratulations on the molt! I hope your dwarf white isopods will do what you want them to!

- MantisGirl13
Thanks, I swear he gets more beautiful every molt. The green is brighter and since he is larger each feature is more pronounced. I am hoping his red coloration starts to brighten up some too.

Wow! Very impressive. Beautiful! Those Mantises sure are lucky!

Im just putting together my 1st bio active set up. I'll send you pics.I'm planning to host an adult female Truncata in it! So fun!

That looks awesome. It looks like you went all out with expanding foam backdrop etc. like the frog guys do. Is that in a 20 gallon? Some of our biggest challenges have been trying to get the needs of a bioactive setup in a more typical-size mantis enclosure. Are you using isopods? Do you have concerns that the mantis will eat them up? Its probably less of an issue in a large enclosure like you have.

Latest posts