Ohaple's Vivarium Setups

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We finally got around to rearranging furniture. Now they are kept on a box-style organizer, which does a much better job at hiding the cables and giving us storage for the accessories and feeders. I also found an extra thermostat and some better lighting for the ghosts, so the whole setup is looking much more clean, organized, and well-lit.

this looks so cool. I like this set up :)

Not so much an update to the mantises, but to the setup as a whole. We have reorganized it so that the mantids are closer together and now we also have a planted aquarium to match our vivariums. The planted aquarium will be for aquatic inverts (neocaridina shrimp and snails). It currently has a few fish for cycling the water. The roaches were moved to better gasket containers. We haven't been using our banana roaches as feeders yet, waiting for them to start breeding some, it looks like they have started breeding. Our dubias are not mature yet so no breeding there, but they also got a new nicer home. The isopods are now getting heat to hopefully make them happier and possibly speed up breeding.

We are struggling with our mood moss in both vivariums, but the bromeliads and philodendron are growing nicely. We are starting to get into the swing of keeping them so it isn't taking up very much time and we can just mist, feed, and enjoy. Carl must think there are more isopods to munch on because we see him standing on the ground hunting from time to time.

Now that the enclosures are closer, the mantids can see each other. Carl sometimes looks like he is hunting his neighbor when she does her leaf dance. Is that stressful on either mantis? I don't want Carl to have problems from being in hunt mode too often and don't want Casper to be stressed from being hunted. Obviously they are both safe since there is two layers of acrylic between them, but they don't seem to understand that.

I don't have a picture of the whole thing, but we slid the mantids to the right and the aqaurium is on the far left now:

uMweGAvl.jpg

The springtails are a great vivarium cleaner, but also make good live food for small fish, so that has been positive too.

CPb2rbhl.mp4

These enclosures are so beautiful. If we didn't move so much I would definitely be looking into live vivariums and a cleaning crew. But we move every 2.5 years and with small chances of being moved over seas I can't get crazy with my enclosures. I have to be able to tear them apart with minimal cost.

These enclosures are so beautiful. If we didn't move so much I would definitely be looking into live vivariums and a cleaning crew. But we move every 2.5 years and with small chances of being moved over seas I can't get crazy with my enclosures. I have to be able to tear them apart with minimal cost.
Thank you! These move pretty well. Honestly my major concern would be for the mantis since they are the most picky thing in the entire setup. You basically forget all about the plants and cleanup crew as long as you are misting and have decent lighting.

A small update. Carl ate every last one of the giant canyon isopods in his enclosure. We held back five, but they haven't begun breeding yet. The mood moss and spikemoss in the enclosures is doing poorly. I think the moisture and light requirements must be contrary to how we keep our vivariums. Our bromeliads and philodendron are growing great. Surprisingly, the mood moss in our banana roach colony, which gets no light, is doing very well. Carl and Courage have both molted to adulthood and are doing well. We don't see many of the powder orange isopods, anymore, but I doubt Courage is eating them since we can hardly get him to eat anything. Hopefully they are continuing to thrive under the surface and in the cover of the plants. We are planning to install new, better, lighting so that we don't have as many wires to contend with.

These are nice. Ive been out shopping nice enclosures. I think I value a uniform appearance to them. Maybe three nano talls for the bigger bugs. 

These are nice. Ive been out shopping nice enclosures. I think I value a uniform appearance to them. Maybe three nano talls for the bigger bugs. 
Yeah, to me symmetry was most important. I didn't want to give the L4 ghosts the same enclosure as the sub adult giant rainforest. So I compromised with two sizes and set them up to be symmetrical in appearance. Now that we have added the shrimp tank, things are off balance. While I really like all of our mantises, I only really want to keep two long-term. I would like two mantises and our shrimp tank. Plus our guinea pigs and the soon to come dog, and our cleaner/feeder cultures, thats plenty of animals for me.

Plus our guinea pigs ...
Oooh we have piggies too. LoL.

We love em.

I have an L6 golden I want to house properly. The L4 shields will need the same as the goldens once they come along a bit. I was thinking those exo terras would do.

As beautiful as yours are, I'm not sure about a true vivarium setup like y'all have though. That's more work than the animals themselves. 😁

Oooh we have piggies too. LoL.

We love em.

I have an L6 golden I want to house properly. The L4 shields will need the same as the goldens once they come along a bit. I was thinking those exo terras would do.

As beautiful as yours are, I'm not sure about a true vivarium setup like y'all have though. That's more work than the animals themselves. 😁
Our household spends lots of time on the guinea pigs. My wife actually runs a business part time making guinea pig supplies. They aren't my favorite, but she sure loves them.

Yeah. Our ghosts are in more typical non-bioactive setups with just a little sphagnum moss at the bottom and fake plants and sticks to climb on. It is for sure less maintenance and is cheaper to setup. For us, the vivarium setup was the primary draw. We wanted to keep a little ecosystem. Now we have transferred that to the aquatic setups as well. Some day it would be cool to do a split aquatic/terrestrial vivarium to keep both in the same enclosure. I have seen some great setups at the local fish store where they are heavily planted with bromeliads etc that would be great for mantids and then have some water with micro fish and shrimp.

Our household spends lots of time on the guinea pigs. My wife actually runs a business part time making guinea pig supplies. They aren't my favorite, but she sure loves them.
Cool. We keep ours right in our main living room. We handle ours a lot and feed them fresh veggies daily. We got them for our young boys, but I think we love the guinea pigs as much or more than they do. 😂

What kinds of GP supplies?

Cool. We keep ours right in our main living room. We handle ours a lot and feed them fresh veggies daily. We got them for our young boys, but I think we love the guinea pigs as much or more than they do. 😂

What kinds of GP supplies?
She makes mostly cage liners and beds, but also does some chew toys and things for the owners like guinea pig calendars and keychains.

People are always surprised about the size of our cage since it is a CNC cage, 5x2 grids with a 2x2 loft. I swear they eat better than we do. I preferred rats when we had them in the past. While they have a stigma, they are super smart and loving. I always feel like the guinea pigs don't care about us as long as they are fed.

I don't know the rules about self promotion here, but if you are interested in looking at it I can DM you a link. She does it a full 20 hours a week and has had pretty good success.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure DM the link please.

Y'all have your own CNC?

That's how you're cutting your plastics for your vivariums. 😁

And the bases and tops too!
We have a small (20"x30") CNC and a Glowforge laser cutter. We made these enclosures using the laser. Acrylic cuts so nice with a laser. We use it to make lots of accessories. I dm'd you the link to her store if interested.

Cool ty.

Who'd think you can laser plastics!

Amazing. You design the enclosures in CAD?
We usually only operate in 2.5d since it is easier to work with vectors instead of 3d models. I will often design in sketchup just to visualize the product, then I use Vcarve (a 2.5d CNC software suite) to make the final design. The nice thing is Vcarve easily exports to the laser or CNC so we can use whichever tool works best for the job. The glowforge also allows 3d engraving so we sometimes will make 2.5d parts on the laser as well, it just takes longer.

Many plastics are toxic, but acrylic is safe to cut on a laser. For these enclosures we also cut wood and felt. It is really fun to have tools to make precise parts on the fly.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is really fun to have tools to make precise parts on the fly.
You're blessed to have these tools available to you.

As a mechanical engineering technologist, I use Solidworks to design machines in 3D.

At work, we have a large CNC 2.5 axis machines used to profile and pocket plastics and wood composites. I can probably sneak a piece or two on there from time to time. But that's further down in my journey. 😛

You're blessed to have these tools available to you.

As a mechanical engineering technologist, I use Solidworks to design machines in 3D.

At work, we have a large CNC 2.5 axis machines used to profile and pocket plastics and wood composites. I can probably sneak a piece or two on there from time to time. But that's further down in my journey. 😛
I do feel very fortunate. I have the best of both worlds. They are my father's machines, but I can come over whenever I want on weekends to use them. Laser cutters and CNC machines aren't as expensive as many people think. We use them to make custom knife scales to sell, custom gifts for family, custom speakers and headphones, fish tank accessories, etc.

Upgraded to now have an overkill vivarium for one of my mantises.

Long story long... I am wanting to start a small A. Vulgare (isopod) breeding project. That got me to thinking I really wish I had a good display for my  isopods. For isopods, floor space is the name of the game. You only really need 1" of substrate and then only enough headroom to allow them to not escape. So I was thinking about building them custom vivariums. But also one mantis already died and another only has maybe 1 month left. We want to keep fewer mantises to help the time it takes to feed, so we were going to be tearing down the vivariums. With all of the animals, our house has become a zoo and we have to spend about 1/2 of our free time caring for the animals. I want 1 good display vivarium, 1 good display aquarium, the cat, the guinea pigs, and supplemental isopod and springtail cultures (the wife has her eyes on a dog in the next year as well as chickens......). No more roaches, and not 5 mantises in display-style containers. I really love the vivarium plants though, and want to keep them. We have never had success keeping houseplants, and vivarium plants add an extra little bit of flair.

So, I decided to get a larger vivarium to put all of the plants in, and also to keep one colony of isopods. Side benefit for Courage, our peacock mantis, he gets a huge new home. Finally, I thought it was wiser to spend $60 on a vivarium that I could use for millipedes, stick bugs, mantids, frogs, etc rather than spend a weekend of time and $30 in acrylic to build custom isopod enclosures. More than being mantis-lovers we are animal lovers so it will be nice to have some flexibility.

Here it is. I am happy with it so far. It is a 12x12x18" Exo-terra. Luckily, the old LED light fixtures fit it ok, but I also got lucky and found the hood for it for $3 at a thrift store so I have options.

As always, started with a drainage layer. This keeps the substrate from getting soaked if I over water. I had an acrylic frame and mesh that fit perfectly to keep the soil and drainage layer from mixing too much. I used aquarium gravel, which is not ideal for this due to weight.

Cat9G3ll.jpg

mJex2JYl.jpg

Then the substrate. Mixed some Josh's Frogs isopod substrate with some coconut fiber, sphagnum moss, crumbled leaves, and charcoal. This is important for the isopods since it is their home and thier food. If it doesn't have enough leaf matter to eat, they won't produce well. If it stays too moist or dries out too fast, same thing. It also needed to be decent for the plants, but the rooting plants had some invertebrate-safe potting soil stuck to the roots and I left that alone. Sorry for the blurry photo.

N5Pljq1l.jpg

Then the plants.

Hziu46pl.jpg

Finally I put in the isopods. I would guess 7 adult giant canyon isopods and some 100+ small juveniles. They took a few months to begin producing, but now are birthing huge sets of young. I kept about 1/2 of the juveniles in a separate culture just in case something goes wrong. These guys grow sooooo slowly. I originally thought the young were dwarf whites that got into the culture because they were similar color or size. It has taken 1-2 months for any real color to show up on the young. I believe it will be another 3-6 months until they are sexually mature. But once that happens, I will have a nice big colony so I can start selling/sharing. Giant canyons are not the most attractive, but I have a fondness for them.

ddXkX2bl.jpg

We put Courage in this enclosure since he is too cowardly to hunt down the isopods. Carl, our h. majuscula, ate most of the giant canyons in his vivarium within 1 month. Courage on the other hand, he won't eat a cricket 2 inches from his face. I doubt he will actively hunt them. One concern is that I would like to pin him once he passes. The isopods may start in on him if we don't catch it soon enough. I may make a net to catch him to prevent that. No springtails in this setup unless some managed to sneak in. They are only helpful and we have a culture on hand, but I want to see if the isopods do well enough on their own.

LSsBHrSl.jpg

Wow! You've been busy, ohaple!

- MantisGirl13
Yeah between this change and setting up our new aquarium we have been awfully busy. Here is a quick shot of the aquarium just for fun. This is where we keep our shrimp, a couple snails, and some small fish.

2MWMZaKl.jpg

8i2xNuEl.jpg

Latest posts