Ohaple's Vivarium Setups

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We added Carl to his vivarium and reorganized everything. The peacock will go in his enclosure soon as well, we just wanted to give him a couple days after his molt. I have been happy to see that the powder orange isopods hide on the stalks of the philodendron and mini pixie, so they are at fairly low risk for getting munched on by the peacock that spends 100% of his time on the lid.

The other isopods and feeders come today, so we will be able to keep improving the setup. Here are some photos we took during the transition.

UpNtajcl.jpg

Here are his raptors

9pBu4oRl.jpg

Getting acclimated:

FaXVYwtl.jpg

ThyJrBYl.jpg

hgJSWtKl.jpg

I like how his colors match the bromeliad. Excited to add in some isopods today and continue working on the setup. We plan to move the peacock tomorrow.

We got the new feeders and isopods last night.

The giant canyon isopods are great. Being a little larger, you can usually spot one or two trying to hide. We added 5 of them to Carl's enclosure just in case he decides to start snacking on them, we have 5 extras that will hopefully be breeding some.

ya4S2WIl.jpg

fJEHIRdl.jpg

yv6bH0yl.jpg

This one seems oblivious that a predator is lurking. We made sure to feed Carl well before adding them so he hopefully won't go after them right away.

oTn6vAUl.jpg

We also added the peacock mantis to his enclosure. He seems like he is doing well. The powder orange isopods are all good enough at hiding that I'm not worried about them getting eaten.

quWBWRMl.jpg

xLhkZI0l.jpg

krbBvvMl.jpg

Now the only problem we are having is balancing humidity and heat. If we add moisture and heat, the humidity spikes into the 90s. Then it settles out in the 40s or 50s, but I figure the humidity getting so high is not good for them. Its primarily a problem on the ghost enclosures where there is a less ventilation. The others with full mesh lids we are about to keep at 50-70% fairly easily.

FUwlTB9l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If we add moisture and heat, the humidity spikes into the 90s. Then it settles out in the 40s or 50s, but I figure the humidity getting so high is not good for them.
How long does it take for the humidity to stabilize to your target level? If we're talking hours and not days, I don't think there is a problem. RH zone for Ghosts ranges from 60-90 according to my reading. 

Sources:

https://www.keepinginsects.com/praying-mantis/species/phyllocrania-paradoxa/

? This dedicated forum caresheet sets target zone between 40-70%.

How long does it take for the humidity to stabilize to your target level? If we're talking hours and not days, I don't think there is a problem. RH zone for Ghosts ranges from 60-90 according to my reading.
It takes a few hours usually. If we see it over 90% we take the lid off to allow it to come down more quickly. Our screen-top vivariums stabilize in less than a half hour due to the significant ventilation. We usually mist twice per day, spraying on the substrate and walls of the enclosure. With the vivariums we mist and also pour in water as needed to keep a little standing water in the drainage layer.

We finally got around to rearranging furniture. Now they are kept on a box-style organizer, which does a much better job at hiding the cables and giving us storage for the accessories and feeders. I also found an extra thermostat and some better lighting for the ghosts, so the whole setup is looking much more clean, organized, and well-lit.

Fc1V6Wv.jpg

We finally got around to rearranging furniture. Now they are kept on a box-style organizer, which does a much better job at hiding the cables and giving us storage for the accessories and feeders. I also found an extra thermostat and some better lighting for the ghosts, so the whole setup is looking much more clean, organized, and well-lit.

That is a beautiful setup! I am envious of your enclosures, and they look amazing on that organizer shelf!

- MantisGirl13

Wow, these are gorgeous setups and mantids! I wouldnt worry about Carl eating the isopods, not sure why but most predators show no interest in isopods.

Wow, these are gorgeous setups and mantids! I wouldnt worry about Carl eating the isopods, not sure why but most predators show no interest in isopods.
He ate all of the isopods that we seeded the tank with. Now we find that he hangs out within striking distance of the substrate, likely because he learned there is food there. I think the problem was choosing such a large variety to house him with. We used giant canyon isopods, which are somewhat similar in shape, size, and behavior to mid-sized dubias. A faster and smaller isopod variety would probably not be an issue. Dwarf whites are almost certainly a safe bet (but are boring). We might introduce powder orange or another mid-sized type. Our peacock Courage hasn't touched any of his powder oranges as far as I know.

I had read this advice and ignored it, so for anyone else: establish a culture with your isopods prior to adding them to the vivarium. It keeps you from spending too much on reseeding the vivarium if needed and allows you to turn a small isopod investment into animals for many vivaria.

Maybe you should use smaller isopods XD 

I am glad Courage has not eaten his isopods!

- MantisGirl13

Maybe you should use smaller isopods XD 

I am glad Courage has not eaten his isopods!

- MantisGirl13
Yeah, since he is a picky eater I'm not too worried. Hoping to get dwarf whites, powder orange, and giant canyon all established cultures so we can use them moving forward. My hope is to have dwarf whites and springtails in every bioactive setup and then one larger species in each. It will take a little time though for our giant canyon colony to get established since I only held back 5 and they haven't bred yet.

Also, the landscape on the table has changed. We added a 7 gallon aquarium that will house freshwater isopods, shrimp, a snail, and maybe a couple guppies. Its the invertebrate corner.

Cool! It sounds like you are really into creating neat vivarium and aquarium setups!

- MantisGirl13

Cool! It sounds like you are really into creating neat vivarium and aquarium setups!

- MantisGirl13
Hope so. The aquarium is sort of the same theme as the vivariums. Lots of live plants and microfauna to make a little ecosystem. We still have a lot of work to do on the aquarium though.

Oh thank you so much!

Yes. I believe it's a 20 gallon. At this time I only have a large mature colony of Orange isopods added and an adult female Truncata. I'm currently culturing white Pruinosus isopods with spring tails to eventually add as well. I got those this last weekend at an exotic animal show that I  (Mantids Galore!) was a vendor. I ended up trading Orchid Mantises for Everything that I used to put it together... Other than the Truncata.

The isopods are pretty prolific so, it's  ok if some are eaten. I cultured them for several weeks before putting them in.   I'm currently culturing springtails to eventually add. It's not as hard as I thought it would be... So glad that I've done it.... 

Here's a pic of my spring tail & white Pruinosus isopods culture.View attachment 11672

I will😊 I saw your message about your Budwings.... You'll just need to keep trying and keep a close eye 👀 on her...  One trick that works for me, is to smear honey all over her raptors just as you introduce them ...best if she doesn't see him...

She'll get preoccupied cleaning off the honey, 

she shouldn't do anything to him🤞

I will😊 I saw your message about your Budwings.... You'll just need to keep trying and keep a close eye 👀 on her...  One trick that works for me, is to smear honey all over her raptors just as you introduce them ...best if she doesn't see him...

She'll get preoccupied cleaning off the honey, 

she shouldn't do anything to him🤞
Thanks!

- MantisGirl13

Well thank you.... They're super easy! The isopods and spring tails break down any animal waste, decaying plant material, mold...etc. which in return creates ideal soil for the plants. The concept is to not need to clean the enclosure. So, once it's set up.... incredibly easy to care for. I'm currently culturing several isopod species and spring tails to offer on my site in the near future. Im really enjoying raising isopods. Highly recommended!😊

Latest posts