OK for ghosts?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonibaru

Reaction score
I am expecting some L2/3 ghosts in the next day or two. Went back through old forum posts to try to decide on some communal housing options. Couldn't find an Exo Terra, but found the 12x12x12 Zoo Med version at the LPS. Cork bark on the back, sphagnum moss in the bottom, and some sterilized grapevine from last week's yard work, wound round inside and secured for climbing. I feel like it's too empty though. Does it look like I give enough climbing surface for ~3 ghosts and is there still room for them to moult? Is grapevine bad to use? I am a nervous new ghost owner. Thx!

exo-1.jpg

It looks good, but I think a little large for small nymphs. You will need to put a lot of food in there for them to get fed, as they don't usually chase food items.

I think it looks Great !!! If you want you could add some more Vines(I would dry them out in the oven at 175-190 first) or maybe some sticks closer to the top for molting, and at most dollar stores you can get fake plant vines w/leaves for cheap. ;)

Looks great. More plants (whispy with lots of space between) will keep them closer to the middle. Otherwise, they'll just hang on the top all the time. If so, be sure to place the cage hugh enough for you to easily see the roof (or you'll get a kink in your neck from watching them). :)

If you're feeding them flies, the space open space won't matter as much.

Have fun with them! And send us pictures!

Yes, this looks very luxurious. My first ghosts had to make do with deli cups with a twig in each one!

BTW Did you know that your name means "new boni" in Malay? Unfortunately, when you have been around for a while, you'll have to change it to "boniberpengalaman". Maybe Yen can think of something easier! :D

Yes, this looks very luxurious. My first ghosts had to make do with deli cups with a twig in each one!

BTW Did you know that your name means "new boni" in Malay? Unfortunately, when you have been around for a while, you'll have to change it to "boniberpengalaman". Maybe Yen can think of something easier! :D
LOL - it is my Singapura cat's name. She is named after her mother (also "Bonnie"). She is almost 15 years old - does that count as being around a while? Do I need to change her name now?

I think it looks Great !!! If you want you could add some more Vines(I would dry them out in the oven at 175-190 first) or maybe some sticks closer to the top for molting, and at most dollar stores you can get fake plant vines w/leaves for cheap. ;)
Thanks! I put two more twigs across the top and secured them in place so they can hang, but still left room for hanging off the screen. Are ghosts happier with leaves instead of just bare twig? (I realize "happy" is a subjective term lol)

Are ghosts happier with leaves instead of just bare twig? (I realize "happy" is a subjective term lol)
Not sure. They seem... less restless hanging under flowers or complex leaves (imagine them hanging from a rose bud, hooking their feet around the edges of the petals). They've done really well on what looks like artificial Baby's Breath. I've had a lot of luck keeping them off the top with that.

Also, I've usually got a climbing vine or stick that functions like the super highway. Everybody moves on it, but no one loiters... Heavy traffic area! :)

Yes, by all means give them leaves. The insects that they need are not going to spend a lot of time hanging around on bare branches and the leaves will give them a sense of security (I don't believe I said that!). The green morph appears to be protective coloration when they are hiding in greener leaves, though once nymphs change to green, they don't turn back.

Here's an artifical flower that they really seemed to be comfortable with. I honestly don't prefer yellow with the ghosts (just kinda nauseating), but I do like to SEE them, so as a material, it worked really well. Also, the wire in the vines was easy to shape.

IphonePhotos-Circa2010-06-23165.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer separating my nymphs into plastic cups so I can take care of each one better, make sure everyone has enough food and overall make it so they have an increased chance at growing.

Once they are L5/L4 I put them in large enclosures like the one you have.

I prefer separating my nymphs into plastic cups so I can take care of each one better, make sure everyone has enough food and overall make it so they have an increased chance at growing.

Once they are L5/L4 I put them in large enclosures like the one you have.
I agree with Ricardo. On paper. He's right...

But I have soooo much more fun with them communally! The sooner I can get them out of quarantine, the better! I just got a mess of L2 Idolos into an enclosure I was TRYING to save til L4. I reaaaaaly tried to be patient... I did! I know they aren't "happier", but they sure LOOK like it! I was playing with light fixtures, and the whole mob just slowly scurried away from the one I turned off allll the way over the one I turned on. It was hillarious!

Latest posts