ooth set up and what should be done

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massaman

Reaction score
here is what i have so far with my two creobroter gemmatus ooths which were both laid today and this is the set up so far and just need some opinions on what else i should do. i can keep my apartment at around 70 degrees pretty much or can put it in my crawlspace in my apartment which i think does get warmer but i would like to not have to resort to using the crawlspace if i have to because it does get hot in there and would not want to cook my ooths if i forgot they were in there!!

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u302/ka...z/OothSetup.jpg

this is the same set up i am using for a religiosa mantis ooth as well

Last edited by a moderator:
just looking for a little advice so this will not be a dud!

i know its not very large for if all of the nymphs if they hatch but this is just to incubate them and then i can transfer them to a larger container i have set aside!But i can always switch lids on a 32 oz deli container so the ooths are in the 32 oz container and then just add the wet paper towel or whatever i need for substrate!Only thing i am going to do with this is just mist the sides of the container and keep the towels moist!

id switch to 32oz, that one seems a bit small. Also you might want to add some sticks, raffia or excelsior to reduce cannabilism.

Way too small. A 32 oz is too small as well. Get one of those plastic fish bowls, net cage, or 5+ gallon tank.

dont think i need to worry about cannibalism since they just were laid and i have to have them hatch first!

5 gallon tank for two ooths? kind of extreme i would think not to mention i have not alot of money to throw around for tanks right now besides its not like they are going to stay in there once they hatch.As once they start hatching and if they do they get moved to something bigger set aside!Besides how would i even manage to take care of that large of a container and then i would still have to worry about a substrate and what have you as i wanted to do this as simple as possible without going overboard as i like to keep things as basic as i can even if its barely addequate!

5 gallon tank for two ooths? kind of extreme i would think not to mention i have not alot of money to throw around for tanks right now besides its not like they are going to stay in there once they hatch.As once they start hatching and if they do they get moved to something bigger set aside!Besides how would i even manage to take care of that large of a container and then i would still have to worry about a substrate and what have you as i wanted to do this as simple as possible without going overboard as i like to keep things as basic as i can even if its barely addequate!
You asked for advice, Massaman. Rick gave you good advice, but it's up to you whether or not you take it. Do some dumpster diving for one of those huge dog treat jars;* get a plastic box that kitty litter comes in, and cut a hole in the top, and cover it with window screen. Overcome! :rolleyes:

* And note the cunning use of a semicolon here because, although it is not followed by a subject, the verb is in the imperatiove mood.

yuo can keep them together untill L3 if you want, after that you might want to switch them to individual enclosures. I would recommend putting the 2 oothecae in seperate enclosures then you could have them in 32oz cups and they would have more space.

Latest posts