ooth tubs....

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desana

Reaction score
Just wondered what ppl thought to these ooth tubs i use them for incubating the smaller mantids. Any feedback would be appreciated cheers...

oothtubs006.jpg

They are great! How tall are they? Lmao i hatchet my acromantis ooth in a cricket tub without all the substrate and hygrometer and stuff...

They are great! How tall are they? Lmao i hatchet my acromantis ooth in a cricket tub without all the substrate and hygrometer and stuff...
they are 14cm high x 8cm in diameter cheers i think they are big enough for the smaller species. thanks.....

thats nothing ive seen people hatch chinese in cricket tubs!.................

i was wondering if they would large enough to hatch a ghost ooth.....

Gauges are overkill but otherwise should work.

thats nothing ive seen people hatch chinese in cricket tubs!.................
Yes, but ask Shaz how many times I told her not to do it and how many times she did it until she admitted I was right :p ;)

Those tubs are WAY to small for any species other than ones such as Ceratomantis ie. ones with VERYsmall hatches.

As adviced before, it is much better to use sweet jars for almost all species.

Rob.

Better, but would be even better with a sweet jar ;) Should be okay for the species I think you have there - Phyllocrania paradoxa ?

You need to put lots of twigs in there also, but the most important thing is to lose the lid - it'll promote mould growth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Better, but would be even better with a sweet jar ;) Should be okay for the species I think you have there - Phyllocrania paradoxa ?You need to put lots of twigs in there also, but the most important thing is to lose the lid - it'll promote mould growth.
cheers for the feedback this is a pic of the lid.

DSC01631.jpg

Looks good to me!

Unless its a big species, I just use a 32oz deli cup w/ a mesh lid. I use a folded paper towel as substrate and mist and the ooth it every 2-3 days. I also include a stick or two. How an individual incubates ooths is his personal preference, but method I use been working great over the years. :)

I would cut more of the lid away and just leave enuff to hold the netting in place if you want to use a lid, but I would just not bother and use an elastic band myself

I hatch my ooths in upside-down salad shakers. You know the salad shaker cups.... it's basically a beaker with a cup-shaped lid. In the lid I put water with cotton balls and I make it stand on the lid, and then I attach the ooth on the bottom of the beaker. When I close it I put mesh between the cap and the beaker. When the nymphs fall down they fall on the mesh, not touching the water in which they could drown. As soon as I see nymphs running around I place them in a different container where they can drink and stuff.

Latest posts