Ootheca experiment?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwright

Reaction score
So I know that ooths hatch faster when it's warmer, so I put these deli cups into our heated tank. It's fluctuates between 74-77 F. Has anyone done this and had more success as opposed to just setting them on your counter? I'm a little concerned about them drying up and/or being too humid. I mist the cups once a week and it takes about 12 hours to dry out. Any advice or experience to share?

One has screening on it because my husband and I are betting on the sizes of the holes vs the nymphs. He thinks the holes are too big and I think it's just fine. 

40289806_239620780083558_880493258029924352_n.jpg

The holes are definitely too big, and if you try to force hatch a Chinese ooth without a diapause, more of the nymphs will not survive. 

- MantisGirl13

Luckily, Chinese ootheca don't need a diapause, but it will delay the hatch. 

I usually just leave mine on my desk. My home consistently stays 78-80 degrees with a stable 50% humidity and my hatch rates have always been good.

Unless you potentially want to have nymphs overrunning your house, you may want to put some fine mesh over the holes. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The holes are definitely too big, and if you try to force hatch a Chinese ooth without a diapause, more of the nymphs will not survive. 

- MantisGirl13
I'm excited to see if it's true! I'm not sure if these ooths were diapaused but they were in a fridge when I purchased them and it was near the end of July, if not early August.

Luckily, Chinese ootheca don't need a diapause, but it will delay the hatch. 

I usually just leave mine on my desk. My home consistently stays 78-80 degrees with a stable 50% humidity and my hatch rates have always been good.

Unless you potentially want to have nymphs overrunning your house, you may want to put some fine mesh over the holes. ?
I can't regulate the humidity yet, so the tank is usually between 35-45%. Luckily we modified our tank lid so it has a fine mesh. At worst Jack will have some snacks and I may have a hard time transferring, but there is no worries about them getting into our house!

Should be just fine. 74-77 isn't really all that much warmer than what I consider room temperature. 

It sounds like they are in perfect temperatures, though I would raise the humidity a bit. I hope they hatch!

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts