Ootheca Incubator

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serle

Reaction score
This is my first set up for hatching a couple of ooth that I received this week. Pretty sure they are Tenodera Sinensis.                              The ooth was collected in early Nov. therefore they may start hatching mid Jan. Any problems with them not being diapaused ?             I am diapausing two other ootheca and starting naturally in may . We in the North have a longer later spring than some of the U.S.

I borrowed ideas from some pics posted by @Crosbyart for the screen on top.

The paper towel at the bottom is soaked with water to help keep moisture up , I am getting an hydrometer

to be more accurate . The ooth are attached with hot glue gun . I would love to hear any feed back and suggestions

as this is gleaned from different set-ups.

IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

@Serle

Not sure why everyone likes to add a R in my name, but that's besides the point ;)

You have the ooths oriented correctly and it looks good. As the container appears of decent size you should be able to leave the nymphs in there for the first molt (depending on how many actually hatch); however, fruit flies will easily escape through the current mesh. You can add layer of organza fabric or even coffee filters (with gaps/overlaps glued) on the bottom size facing the interior and the ooths (that way the FF do not climb up between the layers and usually die there too).

If you do the new mesh for feeding, you need to also add a feeding hole along the bottom to prevent all the nymphs trying to escape at once (if you open the main lid, it will be a nightmare of them all escaping). :D

Latest posts