Ootheca removal...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantid_mike

Reaction score
My female ghost laid her third ootheca last night, but instead of laying it on the twigs that i provided, she placed it on the acrylic cage instead. How can I remove it w/out damaging it for incubation?

Wait at least a week to ensure it is nice and dry. Then use the razor as was mentioned.

I did this last night. I was prepared for a big battle with a Stanley knife but in the end it just came off with a little leverage underneath it.

my religiosa just laid her ooth today, between on the seam, between the ceiling and wall of the net cage.

how long should i wait, before trying to remove? or should i just let it stay there? i can remove the female to another enclosure.

there are 2 crickets in the enclosure (to be dinner for the female) - will they harm the ooth?

how do i keep the ooth?

thanks for the help - this is my first one!

my religiosa just laid her ooth today, between on the seam, between the ceiling and wall of the net cage.

how long should i wait, before trying to remove? or should i just let it stay there? i can remove the female to another enclosure.

there are 2 crickets in the enclosure (to be dinner for the female) - will they harm the ooth?

how do i keep the ooth?

thanks for the help - this is my first one!
it should be fine. just wait 3 or 4 days and it should snap right off with a little leverage.

Crickets can chew the ooth.

If the net cage will hold fruit flies, it can be a good nymph rearing cage.

The ootheca for that species needs a diapause, but I haven't kept the species or diapaused an ooth.

If you are planning on putting the ootheca in the fridge, you will probably need to remove it from the netting.

After a few days, try moistening the ooth through the netting. Then pull gently while you are still miostening and rubbing the ooth through the net.

I have had oothecae that wouldn't budge from netting, but some will come off easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
About a month ago, I caught a European Mantis. We've kept her as my son is obessed with mantids. Today she squirted out an ooth, but I have no way of knowing what to do, or even if it is a fertile ooth. Should I try and remove it from the cage (she laid it at the top of her tank and it is attached between the air vents) and put it in the fridge to incubate it? HELP!

About a month ago, I caught a European Mantis. We've kept her as my son is obessed with mantids. Today she squirted out an ooth, but I have no way of knowing what to do, or even if it is a fertile ooth. Should I try and remove it from the cage (she laid it at the top of her tank and it is attached between the air vents) and put it in the fridge to incubate it? HELP!
wait like 2 days, then gently pull it off and put it on the lid of a deli cup, a dab of hot glue on the side that was attatched to the cage, stick it on the lid, spritz it every few days, in maybe 2 weeks put it in the fridge, misting weekly for 3 months then remove, mist every 3 days and hope it hatches :D

wait like 2 days, then gently pull it off and put it on the lid of a deli cup, a dab of hot glue on the side that was attatched to the cage, stick it on the lid, spritz it every few days, in maybe 2 weeks put it in the fridge, misting weekly for 3 months then remove, mist every 3 days and hope it hatches :D
Should the deli cup have air holes in it?

Latest posts