Our Collection

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry yeatzee I have no idea what you just said, I'm a noob when it comes to using the camera, would you care to explain? So I can take better pictures, Thanks!
No problem :)

Most macro lenses (yours does not seem to be an exception) go to a max magnification of 1:1 (at this point you do not need to know what that means exactly so dont worry about it ;) ) and at this magnification even the slightest shaking of the hands will blur the picture. because of this I recommend no less than 1/80 sec. shutter speed (use M mode) for now. The aperture or "F-stop" can be read about here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number

Basically use M mode and try to shoot for a faster shutter speed than 1/80 sec. (unless using a flash) and an aperture of no more than F/16 but between your lenses minimum and F/16 (the larger the number the better generally in macro (bigger the number the more depth of field i.e. more in focus))

its all about getting enough in focus, without it being blurry, and having enough light to do so. Its a constant struggle :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried taking a couple shots using yeatzee's tip.

P1050077.jpg

P1050079.jpg

P1050087.jpg

P1050088.jpg

Does this work yeatzee?

Waddup, I tried to use the manual function and changed it to 1/80 and i got these, I hope its ok.

P1050120.jpg

P1050129.jpg

P1050131.jpg

P1050132.jpg

P1050137.jpg

Still quite bad imo, anymore tips?

Some are still blurry. Shoot for 1/100 or more and try that. Also, what F-stop was used? What is your lighting setup?

I'll give this as an example. Look at the top of the crown. See how small an area is in focus? See how its just enough to get the eyes in focus and a good portion of the head? I believe this was shot in between F/16 and F/11 with a shutter speed of 1/180 (but I was using extension tubes). For you, try atleast F/8 and if there is enough light go higher to f/11 or above but dont go past F/16 (or diffraction will occur).

4047879593_5300f15a8f_b.jpg

(always shoot for the eyes in focus if nothing else)

Here you go Yen, some pictures of the Creobroter sp. And yes yeatzee it's still not good :lol: . Still trying to play around with it.

P1050214.jpg

P1050252.jpg

P1050254.jpg

P1050254.jpg

P1050259.jpg

P1050286.jpg

P1050290.jpg

This picture reminded me of gremlins.

P1050137.jpg

gremlin.jpg

haha your right Rick!

Oh, by the way, great pics. :) As you practice, you'll learn something that you cant figure out in a book. How to me more stable. ;) As yeatzee was saying about the shutter speed, this will be your best friend for clear shots. The faster it is, the less likely they will be blurry (as long as they are in focus). But just to make things even more complicated, the shorter the shutter speed, the more detail you have. :wacko:

For example, look at this pic:

dragonflypic4.jpg

I used something like 400 shutter speed because I didn't have a tripod with me. I was only able to do this though because I had a lot of light (bright sunny day) using a shutter speed this fast basically eliminated any body movement. But, you have to be in focus. (In reality, this photo is crystal clear, photobucket blurred it a tiny amount :rolleyes: )

Keep on practicing, you'll get there. ;)

Oh, by the way, great pics. :) As you practice, you'll learn something that you cant figure out in a book. How to me more stable. ;) As yeatzee was saying about the shutter speed, this will be your best friend for clear shots. The faster it is, the less likely they will be blurry (as long as they are in focus). But just to make things even more complicated, the shorter the shutter speed, the more detail you have. :wacko: I used something like 400 shutter speed because I didn't have a tripod with me. I was only able to do this though because I had a lot of light (bright sunny day) using a shutter speed this fast basically eliminated any body movement. But, you have to be in focus. (In reality, this photo is crystal clear, photobucket blurred it a tiny amount :rolleyes: )

Keep on practicing, you'll get there. ;)
Thanks for the tip man, at least now i understand shutter speeds better.

AB, run that pic through an unsharp mask and host it on flickr.... it will look 100x better than the already great image it is.

Here you go Yen, some pictures of the Creobroter sp. And yes yeatzee it's still not good :lol: . Still trying to play around with it.
P1050214.jpg
Love this shot! those eyes are incredible! Now take her outside with a more flattering background (bokeh) and do whatever you did in this shot.

(thanks Opivy!)

Thanks for Creobroter pic Shaik :) Best of luck with them.

Also, wonderful Toxodera pic clsoe up! Please keep her to adult. I have never seen the ootheca from Toxodera sp. would love to see one even if it is not fertile :p

You *nailed* the focus on this one! :)

Are you using a diopter or "close-up" attachment lens? What camera are you using?

And when I'm shooting macro, I have a tendency to stick to f/16, and the max synch speed of the camera (usually 1/200 or 1/250) when using flash.

You *nailed* the focus on this one! :) Are you using a diopter or "close-up" attachment lens? What camera are you using?

And when I'm shooting macro, I have a tendency to stick to f/16, and the max synch speed of the camera (usually 1/200 or 1/250) when using flash.
Hey kamakiri, my bro's at work right now so I'm gonna reply for him lol. He's using an attachment lens and our camera is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50. We're gonna try out the way you do it just to get an understanding how all this works.