Outdoor Enclosure Idea - Suggestions/Ideas Wanted!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLINFX

Reaction score
I am in the early stages of attempting to create an outdoor mantis environment/ecosystem to keep Chinese and/or Carolina mantises each year during the warm months. Right now I just have an area mostly cleared out with small logs and stacks of reeds to mark the edges of the space I am using (I will take pictures tomorrow and post them here so that you can see what it looks like so far). It is in the woods, so it is not quite where you would normally find mantises, but essentially I will be making a mini-ecosystem with feeder insects and appropriate climbing space that should suit the mantises. I have many ideas for this project, and it will most likely grow as I get more ideas and more materials.

Besides my own ideas for this, I want to see what ideas you all might have and if possible I will incorporate them into the environment as I make it! Here are my ideas so far:

• I will need to find branches and bramble for the mantises to climb on, as well as some plants. (Plants will be limited, however: deer pass through the area frequently, and since it is in the woods they would need to be something that deer do not like and that can grow in a shady area). I do have some Timothy grass seeds that I will plant there if possible, but my guess is that the deer would eat it.
  • If I do plant anything, I will put in soil and compost since the dirt that is already there most likely will not be good for many plants. It'll end up being a raised bed that way.
  • Thanks to the instructions and info in this thread, I should be able to attract flies to use as feeders without much trouble. With some modifications I don't see why I couldn't make it in a way that the mantids would be able to catch the flies without me needing to take out flies to feed them. I might also try to get crickets or other local insects to join the environment.
  • At first it will be open to the rest of the woods, but there is a chance that I will add mesh netting later to keep it somewhat contained. That would most likely be much later this year or next year.
Does anyone have ideas for what plants would work in the shade that deer wouldn't eat? Is mesh netting a good or bad idea? (One thing I worry about with that idea is how easily the mesh would rip when any branches drag across it etc) What other ideas do you have for this project? Questions?

Here are some pictures! The first one is just the area and borders, the other two show the two climbing pieces I put in today. There will be many more, and I am sure some things will be replaced with others.

IMG_2087.JPG

IMG_2091.JPG

IMG_2094.JPG

What an awesome idea. Sorry, I know next to nothing about what plants to use.

My first thought was how to keep them inside? Maybe a steady constant supply of food? Are there plants that will draw flies?

I know some resin from some trees attracts flies. Would this idea help for plants?

Yeah this is an awesome idea! Like @Zeppy44 is saying, I have no idea on the plants either. I would maybe add a ficus tree in there, not sure if deer will eat it, I'm unaware of what they do and don't eat. I'm sure you want it to look nice, so greenery is needed, perhaps some succulents? Daffodils, foxgloves, and poppies are common flowers that have a toxicity that deer avoid. Deer also turn their noses up at fragrant plants with strong scents. Herbs such as sages,ornamental salvias, lavenders, peonies, and bearded irises are just “stinky” to deer. I googled, copy and pasted that last part, lol. 

Yeah this is an awesome idea! Like @Zeppy44 is saying, I have no idea on the plants either. I would maybe add a ficus tree in there, not sure if deer will eat it, I'm unaware of what they do and don't eat. I'm sure you want it to look nice, so greenery is needed, perhaps some succulents? Daffodils, foxgloves, and poppies are common flowers that have a toxicity that deer avoid. Deer also turn their noses up at fragrant plants with strong scents. Herbs such as sages,ornamental salvias, lavenders, peonies, and bearded irises are just “stinky” to deer. I googled, copy and pasted that last part, lol. 
I just went to look it up, and it looks like deer will eat ficus leaves unfortunately. Succulents are an interesting idea... Maybe a cold-hardy cholla? The only concern I would have is if a larger mantis fell and pierced themself, which possibly could be circumvented with the right type of plant. Out of those plants, only Foxgloves seem to favor shade. Maybe a vine that likes shade would work?

What an awesome idea. Sorry, I know next to nothing about what plants to use.

My first thought was how to keep them inside? Maybe a steady constant supply of food? Are there plants that will draw flies?

I know some resin from some trees attracts flies. Would this idea help for plants?
Don't worry about it ^^ That was what I was thinking. If I set up a fly culture like the one in that link, that would give just one food source. The only plants I can think of that would attract flies would be Venus Fly Traps, Pitcher Plants etc, and then there is the chance of some mantids getting caught while going after a fly. There really aren't any bugs that live in the woods that the mantids would be able to hunt except possibly crickets, and those would still be rare, so multiple fly cultures might be my best bet. I could also try breeding mealworms and seeing if the mantids were interested in the beetles, but that seems unlikely. Maybe flowers that attract other bugs?

I keep picturing a wall of green leaves. Flowering type vines might work. Jasmine, confederate jasmine, sweet pee, honeysuckle; couple that with something to draw the flies onto or into the vines.

This is all based on reading. I have never had a garden outside other than 12-15 plants on front stoop and sidewalk.

Are you planning on stocking this area or is this to attract native wilds?     I realize if stocked would be with natives mantis.

I keep picturing a wall of green leaves. Flowering type vines might work. Jasmine, confederate jasmine, sweet pee, honeysuckle; couple that with something to draw the flies onto or into the vines.

This is all based on reading. I have never had a garden outside other than 12-15 plants on front stoop and sidewalk.

Are you planning on stocking this area or is this to attract native wilds?     I realize if stocked would be with natives mantis.
That's a great idea! I haven't done much gardening either, but since the plants will have to be hardy anyways I am not terribly worried. I think honeysuckle would work.

I have Chinese egg cases to stock the area as long as I get it set up in time for them to hatch, and I will most likely get some Carolina egg cases or nymphs later as well. If the Chinese oothecae hatch before everything is ready, I will probably order more oothecae or nymphs (the egg cases are outside but nearby, so if they hatch they will be free to roam to an area where they can live). There seems to be few mantises in my area in general... It took me a while to find even one egg case, and then an extra half hour to find some that hadn't hatched or been damaged. In the past I have been able to find them much easier.

I mostly grew up in Baltimore city but got into the country now and then. I remember sucking on honeysuckle blossoms in the summer. So that will probably grow for you.

Latest posts