Peruvian Scolopendra

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantisdeperu

Reaction score
Hi. Here some pics of my Scolopendra friend´s

Enjoy them.

scolopendra01zz9.jpg

scolopendra02al6.jpg

scolopendra03nq2.jpg

scolopendra04lq1.jpg

scolopendra05ob3.jpg

scolopendra06fw4.jpg

fotosbichos022wn6.jpg

fotosbichos023np5.jpg

Best regards

WOAH! nice centipede. What conditions do you keep it in? I have a small red one i found under a rock :)

hey Christian,

how does someone like me go about getting one of those? that's a Peruvian Giant Right? Scolopendra gigantea gigantea?you know how hard those are to get in the states? if not.....REALLY,REALLY, REALLY HARD TO GET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i guess i was assuming that it was wild caught in Peru. you just can't get that species in the U.S. very redily. and the overall coloration looks like gigantea, most of the pedes i can get readily are some form of subspinipes ( asian centipedes) vietnamese etc.

Hi. This Scolopendra is other specie i think. Do you have any keys to identify?
S.gigantea isn't found in Peru. Might be S.galapagoensis (found in Peru) if it has 4-7 sparsely hirsute antenna segments and femoral spurs only on the first pair of legs.

No matter what it is I wish I could get some.

The biggest centipedes have a pretty painful bite but otherwise are harmless. In the last 100 years there is only one reported case of anyone dying from a bite and it's sketchy, third-world and possibly an urban legend. A more recent report involves a secondary infection but that could happen from damage caused by a nail or any object. Many people die each year in the US from choking on hot dogs and falling out of bed which are far more dangerous.

Cristian el terrario te ha quedado muy bonito, lo unico que puedo aportar es que creo que si la capa de sustrato fuera mayor seria mejor para la scolopendra ya que les encanta estar enterradas bajo tierra humedas, para eso también deberias tener el sustrato mas humedo, ya que en las fotos se aprecia solo un sustrati tipo fibra de coco pero seco, yo usaria turba y la mantendria siempre humeda, sino las scolopendras se deshidratan y siempre estan bebiendo del tarro de agua, si ves que bebe mucho humedece mucho el sustrato o trata de pasar a turba que mantiene mejor la humedad.

solo son sugerencias que creo que irian bien para mejorar la estacia de tu scolopendra pero cuentanos si asi como la cuidas si va bien o si te da algun tipo de problema.

saludos!

Sorry for the Spanish but if I want to explain all that right I have to speak spanish.

Mating centipedes is very difficult mainly because there are no apparent sexual differences between males and females.

If you have a for sure female you have to introduce the others and see their reaction towards each other.

francisco

Latest posts