Pimping out Sensei's jar

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomato

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My bug's not a mantid, but this post is more about his housing so I'll put it in this forum. Last week, I finally fixed up his jar like I wanted to. Well, actually I just modified the lid a little bet. In fact, I doubt Sensei the mantidfly even cares very much. Well, maybe he does a little. Anyway, here's what I started from:

IMG_0246.jpg

I had slashed out a bunch of metal from that lid and covered it in a single ply of paper towel. Also, I'm pretty sure that Sensei's not Mantispa styriaca, but Dicromantispa sayi.

Dremeled out a bigger, neater opening:

IMG_0247.jpg

Ground out the metal splinters and such with a stone grinding bit:

IMG_0248.jpg

This piece of screening came from a junked desk heater. I salvaged the rest of the unit for parts for other projects. I've marked out the inner and outer circumferences with a beige colored pencil:

IMG_0250.jpg

I cut out the screen with scissors:

IMG_0251.jpg

Again using the dremel, I drilled three pairs of small holes around the lid. I could have done a neater job, but I wasn't about to start measuring everything :p

IMG_0252.jpg

Now I just popped in the screen and fixed it in place with some bits of insulated copper wire. The only wire I had on hand was copper, so I wanted to keep the insulation on there. I considered the possibility that moisture in the jar could generate Cu ions, which could be deadly to a small insect. Probably overthinking.

IMG_0253.jpg

And there's the finished lid:

IMG_0254.jpg

And that's how the whole thing looks. There's Sensei the Mantidfly in his jar with fresh substrate, new twigs, and his pimped out lid:

IMG_0255.jpg

The funny thing is that he usually likes to hang out on the glass (not the twigs) but since I made that lid for him, he seems to really like the screen. He's almost always upside down hanging on the screen. He never did that with the paper towel.

-Tomato

Looks good but also wanted to mention the only way this species can reproduce is by laying eggs on spiders I think or such. That is if you ever wanted to try to raise these as they dont lay ooths as mantids do. This is just something worth pointing out but they do eat like a mantis but dont reproduce like them!

Looks good but also wanted to mention the only way this species can reproduce is by laying eggs on spiders I think or such. That is if you ever wanted to try to raise these as they dont lay ooths as mantids do. This is just something worth pointing out but they do eat like a mantis but dont reproduce like them!
That is correct. The truth is, I have no idea if this is even a male or female. I also don't know if depriving this individual of mating will have any physiological consequences. It would not be a problem to find a female spider for Sensei, but first I'd need to introduce him(her) to some ladies(gentlemen), a considerably more difficult task than finding a spider. I think that breeding these guys would be fascinating (I'd get to watch something that, apparently, many scientists haven't seen) and, if successful, incredibly rewarding. However, I'm going to visit my sister in Denver at the end of the summer and there is no way I will be able to find someone to catch long legged flies for him while I'm gone, so I will just have to let him go :(

It's too bad because I could find no information online about lifespan or egg laying and I was hoping that I'd be able to get answers to these questions just by observation. Alas, it won't happen. But then again, the there is no shortage of surprises in the insect world and there will always be something else interesting that ends up in my lap.

-Tomato

see if someone on here wants him, and maybe find a mate.
unsure.gif
Nah, I don't think I'm going to go stuffing him into a box and shipping him all over the country. He serendipitously became my pet but he belongs here, in the quiet suburbia of southeastern NY. I feed him well, etc, but if I let him go, then at least he'll get the chance to mate. Honestly though, because I don't know the first thing about mantispid mating habits, I also don't know if I've irreparably messed something up.

-Tomato

Latest posts