Pink Katydid

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My newest pet.

pink01.jpg

Very nice!

I sometimes raise little katydids until they are adults. Every nymph I find turns out to be a female.

I have never been lucky enough to find a pink one, even if they supposedly can be found in my area.

What species is she? I think I see an ovipositor back there.

Last edited by a moderator:
No way! I cant believe you managed to get one of those! :eek: Did you find it, or get it from somewhere? That's one beautiful bug! :wub:

Very nice!

I sometimes raise little katydids until they are adults. Every nymph I find turns out to be a female.

I have never been lucky enough to find a pink one, even if they supposedly can be found in my area.

What species is she? I think I see an ovipositor back there.
Amblycorypha oblongifolia (De Geer 1773), native to Texas too. This one is a female i think.
how awesome!!! how do they camoflauge in the wild? do they hide among flamingoes? :p

very neat
I think they hide amongst the pink flower. I don't know how can they survive in the wild being so 'outstanding'.
ive not seen a pink one before, looks really cool
Yeah they are rather rare. The color is due to genetic so they will continue to grow up in pink color.
No way! I cant believe you managed to get one of those! :eek: Did you find it, or get it from somewhere? That's one beautiful bug! :wub:
Thanks Paul. No the Houston museum of natural science gave a dozen to me after a successful breeding. They picked a pink couple for breeding so all the new generation will likely be pink too.

Beautiful! I had no idea there were pink ones!

I found some green Katydids this summer and thought they were neat looking. But I ended up feeding them to a couple of my mantids when I was short on food.

I googled and see that the pink morphs have been found in Illinois and Michigan.

wow everyone in my family loves it :clap: Here is the pinkiest one, also the largest.

pink02.jpg

pink03.jpg

and is a female (see the curly ovipositor)

pink04.jpg

Here is the smallest one, it is getting pink too, still has some gray on the back.

pink05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I had no idea something like this even existed in the U.S.

Thanks for sharing Yen, good luck with the breeding!

This is a very nice specimen. I have never before seen a pink one. If it flew accidentally into the range of my Panther Chameleon, it would be gone in less that 3 seconds. The Panther loves katydids. I would never feed a pink one because it is so rare. Good luck yen.

Rich

Nice!!! Always wanted to see a pink one in person. I've actually found a couple brown ones in my area before. Last year I found an adult male Neoconocephalus retusus that was so light brown he was almost white. This year in late August I found a brown adult female of the same species.