potting soil

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebrakacinese

Reaction score
All the media i could find on the net ,talked about using potting soil mixed with sand.So today i picked up some potting soil that did'nt list fertilizer in the ingrediants.Lo and behold when i get home it has the white specks in it.Does anyone know if this is bad for mantis.Im sure mantis are around fertilized gardens all the time ,im just kind of concerned,has any one ever used this befoe with good results thanks

Usually the white specks are perlite which serves to hold moisture. THere are better options out there than potting soil or any kind of dirt. I prefer spaghnum moss. The potting soil is safe if you want to use that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use potting soil. I haven't had a single problem, though it's probably because I have an army of isopods and springtails to make sure no mold spreads.

The only problem I've ever had with potting soil is that I had some species that seemed to really dislike the feeling of their tarsus. It was like watching someone with OCD freak out washing their hands! Silly mantids....

Latest posts