Praying Mantids Keeping Aliens

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I paid about $15.00 for this book and was dissappointed. It is nice book to look through and has a few nice pictures and some nice fairly common info, but I found that there was a distinct lack of good data. Plenty of information that most hobbyists (esp. breeders) would already know. I'm not sure of the timeline, as this book may have defined the hobby for its time, but as stands there is far more up to date information online. What really needs to be written is the specifics and data: specifics of sexing by species and instar, temperatures and humidity for enclosures, identification of species and ooths, seive sizes and materials for enclosures and raising feeder insects, chemistry and pro's and con's of substrate materials and molding potential of building materials, incubation temperatures, gestation times, life expectancy, etc etc etc.... Some of this is lightly touched on, but most of it is clearly absent.

Plenty of information that most hobbyists (esp. breeders) would already know.
I imagine people who already know everything and have been breeding mantids wouldn't learn a lot from a small guide book, it is only 44 pages. Unfortunately all the proprietary information in the book has been turned into common banter on the internet as source info is rarely, if ever, credited. Still most people appreciate the book for what it is, a hobbyist guide written by mantis breeders for mantis hobbyists who don't already know everything and prefer not to spend hours and hours wading through conflicting message board posts or caresheets most often written by people who've never bred the species they list. The cost of the book (I imagine you're including shipping since the book doesn't retail for as much as you say you paid) is for the cover, color plates, and assembly in the USA. Praying Mantids Keeping Aliens is also the only thing that paid to keep mantidforum running till a few years ago.

I don't get an allowance. Only birthday money and odd jobs. I need to know if this book is worth it before I spend half my money. I need other peoples reviews and opinions. :alien:

You know, i don't really like the title of this book. 'Keeping Aliens' Why are they the Aliens? On the Evolutionary scale WE'RE the newcomers, they've been on planet Earth longer than us so compared to us this is THEIR land.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hopefully getting this book and reading it :lol: :D

I recieved this book in the mail today. I really wasnt expecting to learn anything new from it but thought it would be nice to have mantid rearing information that was easy to access and didnt require taking the time to search the internet. Part of me also felt that since this is the book on keeping mantids I should own it just to show my love and suport for the hobby. I have to say I was suprised to find this little book packed with lots of little useful tips and facts that I did not know. Keeping Aliens truely is a must have for anyone who wants to raise mantids. I only wish more people would follow in Orins foot steps and write more books on these wonderful creatures!

'Keeping Aliens' Why are they the Aliens? On the Evolutionary scale WE'RE the newcomers, they've been on planet Earth longer than us so compared to us this is THEIR land.

laugh.gif
biggrin.gif
It's all about perspective. You're arguing the point of view of a mantis but you're probably a human. Besides, assuming anything existing at the same time can be older or newer on the evolutionary scale is a fallacy. If you believe in the evolutionary scale all life has the same beginnings and is just as ancient. Also, most or all modern mantis species would be younger than the human species since their reproductive method results in much faster speciation.

I bought this book and read it cover to cover and was very pleased by the amount of great info in it. It basically has a lot of the info available on this forum (plus a few extras) in one place. This should not be underestimated! It's nice to have a reference physically in front of you.

does this book refer to any of the more exotic species like I. Diabolica or G. Gongylodes cause that would be a little more useful- and does it have care sheets for most mantids?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it does, Great book it dabbles in a little of everything and all different species. I mean if your a expert you'll know most of it already but if not, buy it and learn a few things.

Yes it does, Great book it dabbles in a little of everything and all different species. I mean if your a expert you'll know most of it already but if not, buy it and learn a few things.
good cause i need to read up a little before your ooth hatches hoping it will soon :D

I have this book and it's awesome, with a lot of nice pics too. Only thing I would suggest is a little more info on housing options (the book only really talks about deli cups as housing; nothing on planted terrariums, net cages, etc., etc.,), and a little more on Ooth sizes of different species, and how many Ooths females of each species typically lay. It is a good book though, and I've added it to my list of "books essential to mantidkeeping." :)

Hi, can anyone let me know what species this is please ? and whether it's a pregnant female. Was found in Idaho.

Idaho Mantid.jpg

Totally in the wrong topic, but that's Mantis religiosa. I'll wait to delete this message so that the author of the book (and forum moderator "Orin") gets another bit of publicity.

She's looking pretty pregnant to me, and 'tis the season.

Latest posts