Praying Mantids Keeping Aliens

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received a copy of this latest book, hardcover edition. Very excited to delve further into the depths of mantis husbandry! So many pictures and so much more detail than was able to fit in Keeping Aliens (which was a great book to start with). Thank you very much for the time you put into your books, Orin!

INTRODUCTION

MAN AND THE PRAYING MANTIS

MANTIDS AND THEIR RELATIVES

MANTIS BIOLOGY

MANTIS BEHAVIOR

HABITAT CONSIDERATIONS

HEALTH ISSUES

MATING

OOTHECAE

THE PREYING MANTIS 101

USA MANTIDS

EXOTIC MANTIDS

GLOSSARY

BIBLIOGRAPHY
Well, this book sounded interesting, but I was rather nonchalant about it :mellow: until I saw this Table of Contents of yours at which point I realized I have to get this book!! ;) It was like once I read the Table of Contents I said to myself 'Wow, this looks like a really good book. It's got a lot of really neat stuff in it.' :tt1: I no longer felt very nonchalant about it, but rather excited and enthused! I will definitely be getting this asap! Don't know when that will be, but I'm gonna get one! (Since I've been disabled, my income doesn't even allow me to buy groceries. I live off the food bank and churches, so extra money is really hard to come by.) I'm going to be selling some of my Iris Oratorias, maybe I'll be able to get the money that way. (If I don't need feeders or something else of higher priority.) Anyway, on a last note, it looks terrific, like you did a bang up job! :clap: :rockon:

I'm going to be selling some of my Iris Oratorias, maybe I'll be able to get the money that way. (If I don't need feeders or something else of higher priority.)
I'd be interested in trading a book for a pair or two of Phileurus truncatus (maybe even illatus) which aren't too rare a find in Arizona. They come to lights at night.

Coneja Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Orin, what is the difference between the two books? Does the latest released one have updated and better information? Would someone lose information if they bought the newly released book, but not the one published a while ago?

Keeping Aliens was originally published in 2001 while Keeping the Praying Mantis came out a few months ago. The new, big book is much longer and has far more species. It is more detailed, current, and full color. The two are very different but I'd certainly suggest the new text book over the old booklet.

Keeping Aliens was originally published in 2001 while Keeping the Praying Mantis came out a few months ago. The new, big book is much longer and has far more species. It is more detailed, current, and full color. The two are very different but I'd certainly suggest the new text book over the old booklet.
Okay, thank you.

Do you have a date for when the cheaper copy will come out? And maybe a tentative price?

Thanks thelassarche!

Okay, thank you.

Do you have a date for when the cheaper copy will come out? And maybe a tentative price?
The big book is already available in a less expensive hardcover or a slightly more expensive premium softcover with premium print and heavy paper stock. These have been available since February, 2013 (Amazon, BIC, Barnes & Noble, etc.).

I want it so badly, but it is almost $40! *sigh* . . . maybe for Christmas. Hoping that it will go on sale later...

I have honey bees to support. :p

Thanks thelassarche!

The big book is already available in a less expensive hardcover or a slightly more expensive premium softcover with premium print and heavy paper stock. These have been available since February, 2013 (Amazon, BIC, Barnes & Noble, etc.).
BIC? What is that? I've never seen or heard of one. . .

BE CAREFUL. The version up right now is the premium print paperback, the hardcover should be $10 cheaper and is probably the one you'd want. When the listing for both is complete the paperback and hardcover will be options on the same listing.

http://www.amazon.com/Keeping-Praying-Mantis-Mantodean-Reproduction/dp/1616461659/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361028740&sr=8-2&keywords=keeping+the+praying+mantis
I think this is one of the greatest posts I have ever read. I'm not sure if Orin makes more on the softcover book, heck, he may even make more on the hardcover one for all I know but when was the last time you ever heard of anyone promoting the cheaper version of what they are selling.

I know I have his Invertebrates for exhibition book on my want list but I see he has given the whipscorpions, millipedes and beetles (along with the mantids) the supersize treatments. I'm going to need a lot more holidays to ask for presents. I'll probablu go with the mantids first.

This should be what the final cover looks like.
I have that new Keeping the Praying Mantis book and it is excellent reading, I recommend picking up a copy if you can. Wonderful Pictures and very informative. Although there is no information about my favorite species of mantis: Griffin Mantis. :unsure: That is just minor nit-picking, I love the book Great job Orin. :)

Keeping Aliens is a must read for those new to the hobby! I read it in one sitting and plan to read it again and reference often.  

I purchased Orin's second book and couldn't be happier with it. It was so informative and packed to the brim with great and useful information. I would recommend to anyone looking for a great source of knowledge on all things praying mantis!