Praying Mantids Keeping Aliens

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
INTRODUCTION

MAN AND THE PRAYING MANTIS

MANTIDS AND THEIR RELATIVES

MANTIS BIOLOGY

MANTIS BEHAVIOR

HABITAT CONSIDERATIONS

HEALTH ISSUES

MATING

OOTHECAE

THE PREYING MANTIS 101

USA MANTIDS

EXOTIC MANTIDS

GLOSSARY

BIBLIOGRAPHY

Just ordered the softcover to get a leg up and will be ordering the hard cover as soon as we know when it's available! My new ghosts are so cool but I am already wondering about so many things! Lol

I still have and value my first edition of "Keeping Aliens". I'm also excited to hear about the new, more comprehensive book and intend to pre-order.

I got my copy. I grabbed the softcover for my collection since the photo quality is better and paper thicker though the hardcover is less expensive. Hopefully it will be up for preorder on amazon in the next few days.

NewMantisBook.JPG

It looks great! I am watching amazon for it like a hawk.
BE CAREFUL. The version up right now is the premium print paperback, the hardcover should be $10 cheaper and is probably the one you'd want. When the listing for both is complete the paperback and hardcover will be options on the same listing.

http://www.amazon.com/Keeping-Praying-Mantis-Mantodean-Reproduction/dp/1616461659/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361028740&sr=8-2&keywords=keeping+the+praying+mantis

I believe you get what you pay for. The paperback is the better book, I will buy that even tho it cost more. I am glad there is a new mantis book out. It is needed very much. There are a afew really tarantula but not many mantid books.

Is there a difference between the hardbound and paperback version of keeping aliens?

Is there a difference between the hardbound and paperback version of keeping aliens?
Keeping Aliens is the old, small book. There were two versions, both small paperbacks. one from 2001, the other 2008. It is very small and mostly black and white.

Keeping the Praying Mantis is a new book, related and with a few shared photos and lines but almost entirely different. This is a relatively monstrous book which will come in hardcover or paperback. The paperback is ready to ship from Amazon and costs 49.95, the hardcover should be up as an option in a few days. It should be 39.95. Both versions are the same book and both are in color but the paperback version is more expensive because the color process is higher quality and the paper thicker.

Ordered! Yeah! Now... How do I get the autograph? :)
I'll be at some sort of bug conference in Michigan in a few weeks. Otherwise you could put some ink on the forelegs of a mantis and put a pastic fly on the cover page?

Received my copy today—an early b'day present. Only had a short time to sit down with it. Initial impressions were very good. Enjoyed the first chapter and the photos viewed.

Edited to add: Should have specified that I received the new book, Keeping the Praying Mantis. Already owned Keeping Aliens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where in Michigan, and when, I would like to meet you and yeah maybe have you sign one for me bud. :)

PM me if you would rather.

The conference was in Ypsilanti but it was a month ago now.

Latest posts