Problem with FF larva in my home made cultures

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acerbity

Reaction score
I've been trying different mixtures, but the same thing seems to happen, with both Hydei and Melanogaster:

The larva takes a long time, then just explodes in quantity.

They crawl up the sides of whatever container they're in until they cover the air holes / ventilation and they die from lack of air flow.

It just seems like there is so many in these experimental mixtures that they blanket the sides of the container and die before getting to pupae stage.

I've tried two different containers and poked a few hundred holes in each but I guess I just need cloth lids or foam stoppers?

Does anyone else have this problem at times?

I've been trying different mixtures, but the same thing seems to happen, with both Hydei and Melanogaster: The larva takes a long time, then just explodes in quantity.

They crawl up the sides of whatever container they're in until they cover the air holes / ventilation and they die from lack of air flow.

It just seems like there is so many in these experimental mixtures that they blanket the sides of the container and die before getting to pupae stage.

I've tried two different containers and poked a few hundred holes in each but I guess I just need cloth lids or foam stoppers?

Does anyone else have this problem at times?
When you see the first puparium throw a crumpled up paper towel onto the medium surface.

There is no need to put anything in there for them to climb up on. I always have 10+ 32 oz cultures going at once and have found that they don't need any surface to crawl on. Mine don't go to the top but instead only come up a half inch or so. I use the 32 oz deli cups and the lids have holes covered in mesh. I doubt it but is the medium but maybe try a commercially made medium or a different container that is taller.

They crawl out the medium for one of two reasons;

a) they are ready to pupate

B ) the concentration of maggots is too high - they need more food ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
pupae crawling all the way to the top of your cup means there is too much moisture. using a cloth top or adding paper towel etc will help evaporate/absorb the excess. If your still having problems reduce the amount of liquid in your mixtures.

pupae crawling all the way to the top of your cup means there is too much moisture. using a cloth top or adding paper towel etc will help evaporate/absorb the excess. If your still having problems reduce the amount of liquid in your mixtures.
and that was c) ;)

There is no need to put anything in there for them to climb up on. I always have 10+ 32 oz cultures going at once and have found that they don't need any surface to crawl on. Mine don't go to the top but instead only come up a half inch or so. I use the 32 oz deli cups and the lids have holes covered in mesh. I doubt it but is the medium but maybe try a commercially made medium or a different container that is taller.
I'm certain you haven't tried both or you wouldn't make such an inaccurate claim. The main reason for offering the tip was his problem with excess moisture but increased production due to reduced puparium drowning is a major considerataion. Try it out and you'll be shocked at the difference in production (you won't need so many concurrent cultures). Just don't add it too early.

Latest posts