Prying off mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king_frog

Reaction score
How do you pry mantids off certain things? For example: If it claws me, and stays on my finger, how would i get it off? Or I wanted to make my mantis drop whatever it was holding. Because I don't want any accidents. (Not that i'm going to provoke it)

iv had to do it a few times..i had to do it not long ago..my Hierodula salomonis male climbed over the head of the female when i was trying to mate them..she crabbed him,because i was keeping an eye on them i maneged to prize her front claw apart..what you need to do is just say she has grabbed something your need to pull its front claw bit apart..i edited this pic for u..dont laugh :lol:

2073769739_6dd9eb11fb_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a few methods. Never had one I needed to pry off of myself, but since I use fine mesh cages, sometimes when striking at food the mantises will catch the mesh, miss the cricket, and instead try to eat my cage. I never had to go to actually prying their claws off, but I have found some tricks to make them let go on their own. First thing I always try is blowing hard on them. If that doesn't work my next favorite attempt is misting them with the spray bottle. Finally, if all else fails I reach for a soft feather boa I have. They hate the tickley feathers touching them and most release immediately. If not, I just hold the feathers in their face till they give up trying to eat through them. :p

iv had to do it a few times..i had to do it not long ago..my Hierodula salomonis male climbed over the head of the female when i was trying to mate them..she crabbed him,because i was keeping an eye on them i maneged to prize her front claw apart..what you need to do is just say she has grabbed something your need to pull its front claw bit apart..i edited this pic for u..dont laugh :lol:
:p , Thanks.

If it pull it's claw off me, if its attacking me, won't it still be annoyed and go for me again?

:p , Thanks.If it pull it's claw off me, if its attacking me, won't it still be annoyed and go for me again?
i have lots of mantids..and i take alot of pics..iv never been bit..your worrying to much..the only time it will happen imo is wild mantids.why would it wont to bit something thats 100x bigger then it unless your frightening it..why do u think your going to get bit or clawed?

It is best not to grab them and pull them off. Put your hand in front of them and use your other hand to prod them forward from behind.

I usually give their thorax (where the legs come together) a squeeze, or slowly pull whatever they have in their forearms in the opposite direction so they are forced to "stretch" out and usually let go. However, the feather technique Krissim mentioned is also effective. :p

Try splashing cold water on them or dunk them into water. Hehehe. Well, I guess that's not always an immediate option.

lol that is funny MJ. A tutorial on how to remove a mantis, I've never seen one! :D

In a pinch (exuse the pun) the 'screaming technique' works eveyrtime. You just run around the room screaming like a girl and the offending mantid will let go in a timely fashion. This technique should be reserved for personal attacks as injury to the mantid could occur. If needed, shake the hand or arm that the mantid has in its grip vigorously while screaming and running around the room. I stumbled onto this method but have found it very effective.

My D.lobata grabbed hold of my finger once while eating a cricket, would not let go at all!! started to squeez tighter and tighter, drew blood in the end :lol: only started to worry when she moved her mouth onto my finger

maybe you could just put em in the freezer for a few minutes till they settle down, if they are still going strong, use liquid nitrogen

People please. Just scream and run around the room. Maybe it's a girl thing but I could never sit still while a mantid drew blood from my finger. I would want to, want to take great care of the mantid but I would flip out. Thus far, no mantids have been injured.

Latest posts