Psuedocreobotra wahlbergii

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I was away in Colorado for a 12 day photo shoot, some of my wahlbergii nymphs molted. I photographed one a few days ago. This should be L5. When I left, I think I had 16 and was happy to see that 15 of them survived while I was away. Before I left, I put a few of them in enclosures by themselves. I still have 7 living together in a net enclosure.

L5

IMG2011-10-070630-L.jpg

I'm not completely sure. :huh: I have already lost track and I'm not sure exactly what instar they were when I received them.

These things are ridiculous! So small, yet so much ferocity. I knew I'd love them. Their movements are so animated and the threats are just over the edge. I am also a MAJOR fan of the spikes. I just don't like when they eat and the spikes shrink, but the freshly molted is super spikey.

I have 8/8 that were received and all are eating and molting without any problems.

I'm only feeding blue bottle flies to my p. wahlbergii nymphs nowadays. They are still very cute and animated.Many of my nymphs molted this week, and I decided to try to photograph a couple since I won't have the opportunity again until November. However, the one I chose to model for me didn't want its picture taken. I think this nymph may be an L6 now. I was keeping track of the instar for some I kept in a separate container, but when I went on a 12 day photo shoot at the end of Sept/beginning of October, I lost track of which instar. You can see patterns on the wing buds. I'd love if someone can confirm if this is an L6.

IMG2011-10-210999-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure of the specific number, but it is for sure a subadult male. The development of the wingbuds is evident, and the #9 pattern is already visible.

What a stud!

So the 7th instar is an adult for most males, right? Then that would make the L6 instar correct. Do the females also have the # 9 pattern?

This species sure grows up fast. I just photographed these guys as L1 on August 24.

I moved this guy out of the net enclosure today where he had been living with 6 others, but I think at least one other is the same size.

I found some photos on Flickr where someone labeled a subadult male an L6 and then on another photo an L7. I think it was the same photographer.

I just had my second male molt to an adult tonight. I'm wondering how their siblings and cousins being raised by other forum members are doing? Does anyone else have any adults yet? It might be a while before any of my females molt to adults.

Just wondering....I have read the females are ready to mate after 4 weeks as adult, but require one extra molt than the males. Should this be a case of slowing the males/speeding the females? I still have a hard time counting the segments and will get a better idea what I'm working with. Time to break out the loupe. :detective:

I also had a weird thing happen this morning. One of them just didn't want to be bothered and when I tried to get it onto my hand, it really went for my finger and tried to give it a gnaw. When i pulled away, i smelled something and noticed it had spit out some liquid that it was sucking back in. I didn't want to get my nose too close for fear of having a wahlbergii piercing. :lol: Has anyone ever noticed such a thing?

I have a hard time counting the segments. I could tell two of mine were males because of the antennae. My male orchid and b. Mendicas matured faster than the females. However, the males lived long enough to mate with the females. So, I don't know if it's an issue, but perhaps someone else who has bred them can let us know. It's too late for me to slow my males anyway...

Strange about the liquid. I take mine out to photograph them and when I clean the enclosures. I have to laugh because mine readily climb onto my finger, and when it's time to put them back, I find it hard to get them off my finger. Last night one held on while I fed everyone. The two that are adults don't seem as friendly now.

I agree. These things are clingers. If they don't want to budge...they won't. Whether it's on you or on their lid, they can really hunker down and hold their ground... literally! :lol:

Two more of mine molted to adults today: one male and my first female. I photographed one of them in process of molting. A few more didn't eat today and should molt in the next day or two.

Great looking species. Thanks for the photos and updates. These have quickly become one of my favorite mantis!

these guys are so cool and very cute!!! when i kept mine i only got 1 to successfully become adult :(

i will have to retry these guys one of these days

i love them! the only male to become adult never flew but had a horrible attitude and it was funny lol :)

OK..So I got the photos done. I am pretty proud of myself. It looks like I have 5 girls and 3 boys. What do you think? The boys look like they should be molting very shortly. Sorry for so many photos, but I wanted to show the different colors.

Female 1

RSCN1242.jpg

Female 2

RSCN1248.jpg

Female 3

RSCN1260.jpg

RSCN1259.jpg

Female 4

RSCN1266.jpg

Female 5

RSCN1274.jpg

Male 1

RSCN1276.jpg

Male 2

RSCN1279.jpg

Male 3

RSCN1286.jpg

Several of yours look close...especially your second male! One of your males is very green. I wonder if it will stay that way after it molts.

My 5th wahlbergii is molting right now. It's a female.

Latest posts