Quick and easy tank

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morpheus uk

Reaction score
Made this for my phasmids but guess it would do smaller species of mantis

Was having a boring mooch round town the other day when in poundland they had these neat little gold fish bowls, but had those stupid ring lids, so brought one to see if i can modify it, so later on on buyoligy plastic mesh sives were reduced to 95p, bobs ya uncle ingrediants for a nice and easy tank.

Prep

1.jpg

This is what your`ll need

Step 1

2.jpg

Get a scalpul or something sharp and cut the mesh out of the siv, leaving the plastic handle to be binned

Step 2

3.jpg

Place the netting under the ring so it bulges through the hole

Step 3

5.jpg

Hot glue gun dabs around the whole ring to prevent escapee`s

Step 4

4.jpg

Quickly pat the netting into the glue so its a nice firm stick

And there you go, should look something like this:

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Now this is additional if you require more humidity

Step 5

9.jpg

Get some more netting not plastic but fine and poke and push it in between the ring lid and the glued mesh :)

Oh yeah , all this except for the scalpull and extra netting will set you back £2.95 XD

That's good for the price, and looks good too.

BUT :rolleyes:

Down at the local pet shop, I can buy a big plastic jar, with a real plant and compost, and 4 stick insects. For £1!

picture6ux5.jpg

Bad pic because i couldn't stretch the webcamfar enough, and i wasn't going to go get the other camera because i'm lazy.

Thx all must add though not sure if its the cheapy pound shop make but the lids a lil wobbly so be aware ;)

That's good for the price, and looks good too. BUT :rolleyes:

Down at the local pet shop, I can buy a big plastic jar, with a real plant and compost, and 4 stick insects. For £1!

picture6ux5.jpg

Bad pic because i couldn't stretch the webcamfar enough, and i wasn't going to go get the other camera because i'm lazy.
Damn that's awesome, needs ome of those :p Where do you live? I bet not in the Netherlands :p Can u order online from them? (just the jars and plants, not insects).

Damn that's awesome, needs ome of those :p Where do you live? I bet not in the Netherlands :p Can u order online from them? (just the jars and plants, not insects).
Lol, i live in the UK, and the shop that sells them is really small, and don't even have a website. Sorry, looks like if you're that desperate you ought to come to england :p .

That's a sweet little fish bowl conversion. I was buying fake flowers at Wal Mart when I found some awesome Rubbermaid clear plastic jars. They had gallon and 1/2 gal. and they were $2.!! My poor husband drove to all over to buy all the jars they had in each store. I've modified them in various ways and they've worked out well. I use all kinds of stuff for enclosures. Glass, plastic...I'm always on the look out for new ideas.

Latest posts