Rant :D

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess he's just living up to his name and wanted to gripe. :lol:
Dang it! I wanted to do that joke!!! Grrrrr!

As a guy relatively new to the concept of a forum, I wonder what IS proper etiquette, sometimes. Personally (or does that go without saying), I LIKE it when someone adds a "+1" or "I feel your pain". I like the feedback. And I LOVE brain-storming, which almost NEVER stays on topic for long.

(And, just because it's hard resist going off topic now, just to be sarcastic... "Hey, Agent A! Speaking of nice weather, did you know the Luna Moths will be calling in Connecticut really soon?"

Dang it! I wanted to do that joke!!! Grrrrr!

As a guy relatively new to the concept of a forum, I wonder what IS proper etiquette, sometimes. Personally (or does that go without saying), I LIKE it when someone adds a "+1" or "I feel your pain". I like the feedback. And I LOVE brain-storming, which almost NEVER stays on topic for long.

(And, just because it's hard resist going off topic now, just to be sarcastic... "Hey, Agent A! Speaking of nice weather, did you know the Luna Moths will be calling in Connecticut really soon?"
the cocoons r probo outa diapause now

trees r gettin ready to open their buds

i wouldnt be surprised if the first brood starts 2 weeks early and we get a partial THIRD brood :lol:

it's been so mild, we already turned off the heat, which we usually do in APRIL :lol:

i hope we get at least 2 good broods this summer

i gotta good feelin abt this :)

i gotta start a topic so we can all keep track of luna moth progress, I got 30+ cocoons and a few pics from last year i wanna post, and i even have one of the 6 inch wingspan male that mated with my female last june. perhaps it was cause she eclosed late the big male's pupa took a while to develop and that's why they met up and such...

did i go off topic again?

Oh it looks like you did.

I put my io moth on the other side of the room like you said so they male and female should emerge around the same time

If only my Polyphemus didnt die, I could used her has a wild male collector.

oh well

Did I go off topic too???

I was just.... no I pupose ly went off topic :tt2:

Ok guys sorry for coming on so strong. I'm not against a little bit of chitter chatter. I just think people need to be more focused on the topic at hand. For instance in a topic like "help sex my mantis" you would not say "male and oh btw my male ghost moult last night". The first part is helpful the rest is not. There is a place and time for brainstorming but irrelevance should be left out.

If its like some one that there was another topic on you can mention it. Is it helpful -Not really! Does it keep things going through the forum, so that we dont stop dead and never here what happened- YES! ;)

If its like some one that there was another topic on you can mention it. Is it helpful -Not really! Does it keep things going through the forum, so that we dont stop dead and never here what happened- YES! ;)
Please explain your point more coherently. If you are talking about BUMPing a thread I have no problem with that.

Oh no. Here is and example-

So me and Agent A were talking about our Popas in a Private Conversation. He had a sub-adult male and an adult female. I was telling him how my Popas wouldnt mate. We also talked about after his male mates with his female he could give it to me. So on my post that had pictures I was replying and I asked what kind of ooth this species was etc. He said that he thinks it is a Stagmomantis limbata ooth. Then he said oh btw my Popa molted to adult today. We also talked about moths

Ok so off topic is red -

and question being answered is green -

My question is blue -

My question was answered and I learned something that happened today. Off topic conversations might be pointless to the side people who are sitting through it but it helps keep me and Agent A in touch so we know what is happening. Like I told him my ghost molted. Off topic information will help people keep in touch and know what happens for other people so they are not just left out

I dont know what bumping threads is?????

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no. Here is and example-

So me and Agent A were talking about our Popas in a Private Conversation. He had a sub-adult male and an adult female. I was telling him how my Popas wouldnt mate. We also talked about after his male mates with his female he could give it to me. So on my post that had pictures I was replying and I asked what kind of ooth this species was etc. He said that he thinks it is a Stagmomantis limbata ooth. Then he said oh btw my Popa molted to adult today. We also talked about moths

Ok so off topic is red -

and question being answered is green -

My question is blue -

My question was answered and I learned something that happened today. Off topic conversations might be pointless to the side people who are sitting through it but it helps keep me and Agent A in touch so we know what is happening. Like I told him my ghost molted. Off topic information will help people keep in touch and know what happens for other people so they are not just left out

I dont know what bumping threads is?????
Ehem that's what pm's are for...Sorry I did not explain what BUMPing is. It means Bring Up My Post which means give me an update or answer my question etc.

Look Gripen,

I dont want to be rude. But there is no need to rant whatsoever!

If you dont like what is happening there is no need for ranting or picking on people. Its a free forum!!!! Seriously you can talk to a mod if you really need to but I think this is just a little extreme

Alex

Hey I felt I needed to say something and I did. As you said it is a free forum.

I totally understand and agree with gripens "Rant" even though I'm more than guilty of getting somewhat silly or going off topic myself more than I could count, usually it's to try and add some color(or just have some fun) to the subject whether its needed or appreciated is another story?

Some of us are very serious and some go from serious to wacky, and some just don't have a clue, such is life I think.

Another thing that annoys me is the amount of off topic chatter on the threads lately. If you post in a thread than it better be relevant to the ORIGINAL topic! If not don't post its as easy as that. If the thread is a question and the question has been answered once or twice than unless you have a different answer don't post.

I'm done now. Thanks for hearing me out.
What about threads in the wrong forum? Kinda like this one here. :)

Latest posts