Reducing my stable....

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantisboy

Reaction score
After 3 years of Euro Mantid pet ownership and breeding, this was my first year of having 2 out 8 ooths successfully hatch. I kept 30 nymphs from the first hatch and released the 60-80 nymphs from the second hatch. M Religiosas are now common in Idaho so releasing them was not an issue. Of the 30 nymphs, 5 died within in the first week...happens.

It has been a blast finally getting to see these little ones progress though their molts and after hitting L4 they were easy to sex. I just release the last of my males this morning since I am only interested in the females and will hopefully catch unrelated males in about another month or so for breeding.

I currently have 3 females, 2 greens and 1 tan that is so dark it almost has golden hue to it. Am I being silly for feeling like a mother hen? I always name my females and they actually become active pets which are removed from their housing often to roam our houseplants or just hang out and watch TV. Seems they especially like to watch football and so far they have been 49ers fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the same way, I generally get way too attached to my mantids, it's just so hard to resist doing that. :p

I ran out of names so I call them manty 1, manty 2, etc. :lol:

Sethu, I love the avatar! lol.
I know the remedy for that name issue, just do as I do and type random words into Google translate and cycle through languages until it sounds nice. And thank you very much, it's beautifully uninspired. :p

Good to see another M. religiosa keeper. I just had my first female molt to an adult, waiting on the rest to catch up (all female) and then I'll go hunting for males. Wish I had a cool color variety like yours though.

Latest posts