Rhombo' and 'Chaeta logs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep the guesses coming I got a group of chaetas for the winner :D

L1S Are eating hydeis some are grabbing two, I think next molt will be big enough for houseflies. No casualties 0% mortality rate so far.

20140611_192147.jpg

Thanks for my seventh ooth baby !! Laid yesterday after the hatch

Second ooth is hatching.. or hatched a small amount only ten so far, I misted a little extra, one chaeta did not make it from the hatch hopefully there's more to come

20140613_203415.jpg

Lol I see a few more babies in the chaeta mansion. Momma look like she's stocking up for another ooth. Anyone know what the record is for most captive ooths laid by a single mantis?

Another egg hatched today and two more were laid that's 10 eggs total, 3 hatched. Looks like around the same numbers as the first hatch :) Thanks chaeta!

20140625_083813.jpg

So there's a girl who's been chilling with me on my hat for weeks without food, just water, because she was so fat I was sure she was egg bound, she finally forced it out today, not the prettiest egg lol under the chair.

20140625_084235.jpg

Very long lived, most are frustrated by how long nymphs take to mature. Its worth the wait, I enjoyed the whole ride

They look so sweet. I was cracking up on the one video you have of the Rhombo pilfering the Chaeta's moth.

I tend to get very attached to my mantises, so slow to grow and long lived is a good thing to me. I enjoy getting to spend the extra time with them. I've noticed a lot of people tend to keep this species communally. Is there a general rule of thumb about how much space one should have per a mantis to meet their needs as adults?

I'll admit, I've always been very hesitant to do a communal set up. I get so attached that I would be heartbroken if I walked in to discover one of mine had decided to munch on another.

Last edited by a moderator: