room temperature

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massaman

Reaction score
well i do know from my reading some ooths need anywhere from 70-90 degrees to hatch but some of us have to resort to keep room temperature around 60 or so so not to have a humungous energy bill i think would using a waterheater or a under the tank heater be good for temperatures even though the room temp has to be around 60-70 degrees if its just like a apartment or most households!

well i do know from my reading some ooths need anywhere from 70-90 degrees to hatch but some of us have to resort to keep room temperature around 60 or so so not to have a humungous energy bill i think would using a waterheater or a under the tank heater be good for temperatures even though the room temp has to be around 60-70 degrees if its just like a apartment or most households!
I keep my temp around 70 f. I'm new and have yet to have a hatch but I just got my Ootheca's a couple weeks ago. It seems that the general consensus is that room temp is fine. Any hotter, and you run the risk of cooking/drying out the Ootheca. I suppose, these Ootheca are made to survive the winter and then hatch like mad in the spring when the temps get up above 60 f or higher. I have read that higher temps CAN help the proccess along faster but heating is risky because of over-heating and drying out. Also, if you raise the temp you'll need to mist the enclosure more to generate more humidity since it will be drying out faster with higher temps.

Hope that helps. I asked this same question and the above response is pretty much what I got.

Mine live in the same room that has two computers and my uromastyx which has two heat lamps over him. The room is much warmer than everywhere else. The sun hits it first thing in the morning which warms it up. I also close the vents off in the summer to avoid drafts. At our last place I had a small closet with a water heater inside. That room made a great place for ooths in the winter.

Latest posts