Safe Molting Mantis Apartments

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamonger

Reaction score
So having about 30 or so mantises all on the verge of their final molt meant the deli cups were just not going to cut it anymore. I wanted to make sure all my little friends had somewhere big enough to safely molt in until I find them homes. Buying 30 containers large enough was just not in the budget regardless of how bad I feel for all those little faces peering at me from their tiny cups however. So after some brain storming and a bunch of google searches for ideas I came up with this!

Mantis%20Apartments.jpg

This is a 10 dollar closet organizer from Walmart. I sewed screen onto the front of all the compartments then cut holes to glue in the tops of deli cups to use as doors. They kinda look like little hospital rooms but for a cheap way to give my mantises a safe molting environment it does the trick! It also has the added bonus of being collapsible so when I don't need it anymore I can easily store it. I have a second one in the works and am currently rotating the mantises in and out of these rooms as they finish their final molts.

Hey! That's a neat idea!

I may have to use that.. +1 to you my friend lol! Always keep in mind that mantis prefer Height, over floor space, so turning one sideways might benefit them :)  Either way its perfect, good job!

Yup, these are not structurally sound though so its a bit hard to turn them on their side or I totally would have. The purpose was just to ensure they have a safe place to molt and there is ample room for that. I'll actually furnish the little apartments with some sticks and stuff after the molting madness is done. Until then I figure its best not to give the little fools any way to choose a bad molting spot :p

Quick, cheap and functional was the goal!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes your idea is brilliant!!

I didn't mean to be a critic, but felt like I wouldn't be doing my part if I didn't mention it! Thanks for sharing this with everyone

This is fantastic. I have been trying to work out the logistics of mantis collection on camping trips and transport back home. Thanks so much. My niece has one full of shoes and I never made the connection of alternative uses. I see it every day and never made the connection.

The idea is to travel to an area, camp for weeks or months. Photograph and or collect what I can. This idea was more for base camp holding. Just putting the pieces together mentally at this point.

@Teamonger Thanks for the links. Interesting...........The wheels keep going round and round.

Latest posts