Safe To Eat?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattoyagi

Reaction score
http://seabrookeleckie.com/2008/06/06/nothing-to-do-with-fish/

I saw one of these twice in the past few days and had contemplating giving it to my mantis Shelly. She's big enough to eat them now (L6 maybe 7).

I read the article and they don't seem to be aggressive when caught either. It kinda just LET me catch it hehe.

Just wondering.

(She went and molted 4 days ago out of the blue and I missed it. Pfft)

Fishflies and Dobsonflies are sometimes confused, they are all in the same group Corydalidae, along with Alderflies. Dobsonflies can be a bit more formidable than the Fishflies but the larva of both, called hellgrammites, are aquatic and feed on other insects as well as minnows and other small aquatic animals. Once in the adult form they usually do not feed and only live a few days, just long enough to breed and lay their eggs. They usually have a pincher type mouth part that could inflict a bit of damage should they decide to bite but doubt if they are a match for a mantis. Just some FYI...

Fishflies and Dobsonflies are sometimes confused, they are all in the same group Corydalidae, along with Alderflies. Dobsonflies can be a bit more formidable than the Fishflies but the larva of both, called hellgrammites, are aquatic and feed on other insects as well as minnows and other small aquatic animals. Once in the adult form they usually do not feed and only live a few days, just long enough to breed and lay their eggs. They usually have a pincher type mouth part that could inflict a bit of damage should they decide to bite but doubt if they are a match for a mantis. Just some FYI...
Yea watch out for male dobson flies lol. they have very long jaws.

Latest posts