She’s laying an ooth!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burmeister

Reaction score
Twiggy Girl , our first ever Mantis and the one we found at the airport on some cargo, is currently laying an ooth in the leaves of her enclosure! I decided to have a look for her because I’ve noticed she seemed different lately, perhaps a little weak. She hasn’t looked as strong hanging from the cage roof the last few days. I was worried about her.  I feel really lucky to have caught her in the act. I’m so excited but I know nothing about what to expect. Help!

Shes a European breed apparently, if that makes a difference.

1895AD54-5AC7-45A9-AA52-DE9F9A4766F6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, she stopped eating because she was going to lay. I hope the ooth is fertile! She should perk up in a few days.

- MantisGirl13

I hope I haven’t disturbed her too much ?.  Earlier when I was looking for her I was shining the flashlight at her. I tiptoed over to have a peek a little while ago - without flashlight this time, and she doesn’t look finished. It’s been a couple hours. 

She did it ? lol I feel so happy. No idea if they are fertilized or not. Should I leave it in her enclosure?

Shes happily munching on a cricket right now , her tummy shrunk so much!

1D2CA56C-B1B4-41E5-88AC-4D9924F4AB04.jpeg

D4A48083-D4AD-43F3-A63B-16BA45F5B1B9.jpeg

congrats on the ootheca. It will harden and be easier to take out after a few days. If she got lucky before you got her and the ooth is fertile, then it would be good to pop it in the fridge till you are ready for hatchlings.

Thats great! My Chinese female layed an ooth friday and I was so happy (its fertile). 

Now shes a starven-marvin!    Eatin' everything!

Congrats!!! That’s a cool looking ooth and nothing I’ve seen from a native mantis. Although maybe I’m looking at it wrong. Is it completely attached to a leaf or something or is part of it hanging?

Congrats!!! That’s a cool looking ooth and nothing I’ve seen from a native mantis. Although maybe I’m looking at it wrong. Is it completely attached to a leaf or something or is part of it hanging?
She’s attached it to a leaf. I’ll attach another pic.  And right now she’s back in the leaves and really watching me. She’s not preparing to lay another one is she??

8F86BF71-9372-4B81-B951-585A62EED506.jpeg

I think she needs more time and more prey before she can lay again! It is a beautiful ooth!

- MantisGirl13

Oh ok never mind it looks like a very healthy ooth! And she should be able to lay again in 2 weeks to a month depending on how much you feed and how fast she is at producing ooths