Show Us Your Enclosures and Houses

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Two Enclosures

IubqZlO.jpg

7YK9Wga.jpg

My Two Enclosures
I think your enclosures are great for a keeper. Lots of space, very clean, easy to interact with your pet. The first one looks like it would work well for adults or smaller communal species, the second would work for just about anything at any stage.

How tall is that first one again? You want "3x the mantids length" for your habitat height at least until adult, which makes me think it may not be tall enough for some species to molt.

The first one is 5 1/2 inches tall.

I plan on getting one of those nano exo terra tanks (tall version) , so it has a lot of room till then.

My only complaint about the critter keepers are how annoying it is to open the little door on the top, I have to snap it out every time. It could have been designed a lot better.

The first one is 5 1/2 inches tall.

I plan on getting one of those nano exo terra tanks (tall version) , so it has a lot of room till then.

My only complaint about the critter keepers are how annoying it is to open the little door on the top, I have to snap it out every time. It could have been designed a lot better.
Definitely a little on the short side. Communal nymphs or an adult would love it though.

Critter keeper tabs are annoying. You can shave the tabs off though (dremel) as nothing inside will be able to push it open. Also the vents along the lid are so big fruit flies escape with ease so you have to do something to patch those up or stick with bigger feeders.

Magnus's enclosure
IMG_8387_zps5babbac0.jpg

There is a small plastic container under the highest part of the coco peat with water in it holding one of the plants to keep it alive longer :) A pebble in the corner, and where Magnus is hanging from there is some netted type fabric attached to the roof for easy gripping :)

He seems to like it, and when the crickets are put in they climb up the biggest twig and he snatches them up :p

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks great. As Magnus grows you can remove some of the lower decorations to give more molting room, and other than that it could last all of his youth if not his entire lifetime. I like how it came out a lot.
Glad you like it :) I put a lot of effort into making it! Hopefully it does as they don't have any containers like this that are bigger :p I really like them!

I have one of these tanks that is currently empty. The glass dividers are removable and I am planning on making a mesh top for it. Each little section measures 4"x6"x6". Great for your smaller mantids.

41KQDSatPsL.jpg

dude, glass divider? That's brilliant.... Haven't seen that in my parts.

how much does that tank run? Or can you buy the dividers separate?

I have one of these tanks that is currently empty. The glass dividers are removable and I am planning on making a mesh top for it. Each little section measures 4"x6"x6". Great for your smaller mantids.
I put one of those together but ultimately don't recommend it. Mantids like to hang on the lid, so when you open it they are all released. Lining them up evenly on the lid to put it back on - or trying to get/keep two or three (or in my case it was as many as four) mantids in the enclosure long enough to get the lid on... not very fun.

I used corrugated plastic signs (like election and garage sale signs are made of, Home Depot has blanks) and glued tracks (called "mounting channel") to an aquarium. They will strike at each other if you use glass or plastic (and if they are communal, why not let them be together?) and those signs handle moisture fine. Total build was $10 for 10 gallon tank, $6 for metal lid, and maybe $10 for the plastic, silicone sealant and tracks. Potentially holds four, but again it's nice on paper and a mess in practice. Petco and Home Depot were my only two stops.

dude, glass divider? That's brilliant.... Haven't seen that in my parts.

how much does that tank run? Or can you buy the dividers separate?
These tanks are on the pricey side. ($26.00) I used to work at a pet store so I got a discount on mine but I know Amazon sells them and you might find some on Ebay. Local fish stores are also a good place to find them.

I put one of those together but ultimately don't recommend it. Mantids like to hang on the lid, so when you open it they are all released. Lining them up evenly on the lid to put it back on - or trying to get/keep two or three (or in my case it was as many as four) mantids in the enclosure long enough to get the lid on... not very fun.

I used corrugated plastic signs (like election and garage sale signs are made of, Home Depot has blanks) and glued tracks (called "mounting channel") to an aquarium. They will strike at each other if you use glass or plastic (and if they are communal, why not let them be together?) and those signs handle moisture fine. Total build was $10 for 10 gallon tank, $6 for metal lid, and maybe $10 for the plastic, silicone sealant and tracks. Potentially holds four, but again it's nice on paper and a mess in practice. Petco and Home Depot were my only two stops.
There are ways to make the lid to where you can have 3 separate flip tops instead of 1 full lid. As for striking at each other through glass, you can glue screen to the sides so not only do you have more climbing space for the mantis but it will also obscure the view from another mantis.

There are ways to make the lid to where you can have 3 separate flip tops instead of 1 full lid. As for striking at each other through glass, you can glue screen to the sides so not only do you have more climbing space for the mantis but it will also obscure the view from another mantis.
Yes you can make or find a tri or quad lid... but after that added expense you are far better off to have just bought three or four individual containers (which can also be moved independently). You are near if not over $50 for three 4x6x6 containers.

As for the screening of the partitioning walls, there are at least one of two problems. First they can see through screen unless it is super fine so the problem is unsolved. Second if it is super fine to the point they can't see through it, you have totally destroyed the only reason you'd ever want to use glass as you too can not see through it.

Again I'm merely speaking from experience - it's a way cooler idea on paper.

Yes you can make or find a tri or quad lid... but after that added expense you are far better off to have just bought three or four individual containers (which can also be moved independently). You are near if not over $50 for three 4x6x6 containers.

As for the screening of the partitioning walls, there are at least one of two problems. First they can see through screen unless it is super fine so the problem is unsolved. Second if it is super fine to the point they can't see through it, you have totally destroyed the only reason you'd ever want to use glass as you too can not see through it.

Again I'm merely speaking from experience - it's a way cooler idea on paper.
I see where you are coming from but since I already have the tank (that has been used for other critters) and all the supplies from other various projects around the house, I am still going to try out a few things. I learn from my own mistakes, not from other peoples. :) Just my way of doing things.

I see where you are coming from but since I already have the tank (that has been used for other critters) and all the supplies from other various projects around the house, I am still going to try out a few things. I learn from my own mistakes, not from other peoples. :) Just my way of doing things.
Already having the tank obviously changes things a bit, and yes don't let my testimony alone act as proof it can't be done - I just found it very undesirable.

I'll omit your last remark, I'm sure you don't mean to say you only trust your own experiences; or you'd probably have died of something silly long ago :p

For comparison though - http://www.petco.com/product/12031/Petco-Pet-Keeper-for-Aquarium-Fish.aspx?cm_mmc=bazaarvoice-_-RLP-_-12031-_-description_link

9x6x6 for $5, portable and with nice lids. Only problem is the vents are too large for fruit flies. We just ran scotch tape along the inside of the lid against the vents and poked a few holes in the tape. Work great.

My Enclosures and houses.

All of them

Bottom right shelf holds my two Ghost mantises and a Giant Australian Rain forest Nymph

Top left shelf holds a spiny flower mantis, curly haired tarantula, and a Carolina mantis.

Last edited by a moderator:
The top Right shelf holds my three African Mantises, and a ghost ootheca

The other shelf on the other table holds my yellow ground scorpion and a Striped tailed scorpion.