Slow Movements

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizzuti

Reaction score
Recently, I noticed a new thing about how mantids hunt.

If I put prey in the mantid's cage and leave the cage alone against a plain white wall, the mantid well very slowly move for the prey. It could take 20 minutes for the mantid to move 6 inches.

But if I wave my hands around the cage, simulating swaying branches, the mantid will move faster. It moves in sync with the movements of my hands; when I stop waiving, the mantid stops approaching the prey, and when I start waiving again the mantid lurches forward a little bit with each hand movement.

I realize that the mantid is trying to disguise its own movements by resembling a blowing leaf or twig; it thinks my hands are branches, and hopes the prey will think so too. But I still think it's pretty interesting. Before mating, the males approach the females in this fashion as well.

Also, if the prey moves a little faster, the mantid will move faster and go for it, but if it's very slow prey, the mantid will mimic the prey's slow movements. This is probably because a busily buzzing fly will not notice a mantid looming over it but a waiting fly may see the mantid's movement and escape. Or maybe it's because a moving fly will not stay there long, so the mantid has to move quick or miss the opportunity.

If it's not too distracting for the mantid to keep its focus on the insect, maybe someone could try putting their mantid cage in front of a moving TV or ceiling fan to get it to go for prey faster if things are painfully slow. I don't have to do that now because the mantids I have are very hungry and aggressive adults, and will move for anything even in a still place. But it would be a useful strategy for feeding stubborn nymphs and some males that are reluctant to eat anything, and when they do, go for it so slowly that it's hard to tell if it's really hungry or not.

Tried the TV thing before and found out that my late chinese male likes pimp my ride :lol: , he didnt want to get off the TV when that prog was on :p

Very interesting experiment though, what i find fasinating is that even a captive bred mantis has a natural instingt to do this :shock: :D

Well everything they know is programmed in them at birth; I doubt insects really "learn" much, aside from some very basic conditioning.

Tried the TV thing before and found out that my late chinese male likes pimp my ride :lol: , he didnt want to get off the TV when that prog was on :p Very interesting experiment though, what i find fasinating is that even a captive bred mantis has a natural instingt to do this :shock: :D
My Chinese loves TV.

I have a mini TV I got for a Christmas gift a long time ago. I guess I could let the mantids have it, I don't use it much.

Think you're looking into it too much. I think it depends on the individual or maybe even the species.

Yeah. My Chinese and Marble mantids love it. And my Ghost mantids hate it. Of course that could just be because I don't have cable...

That only works if you're dancing to a techno beat with glow stix. :shock:

D. J. Dynasty Handbag

Latest posts