Spiney flower mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey buddie.im getting in to this breeding game..hopefully it goes well for me..with u guys helping me im sure i can do it.
Don't worry too much about it! (Or at least if you have PO) One of my males has been paired with 4 different females! he is sure some stud...

Also, I keep the together still. (Subadult-to adult) As long as their tummies are full to the max, you should have not problems as adults, as long as you have more than one of each sex. (I have 8 females, 4 males.) As subadult, I didn't have any casualties. They did get into little fights, but no one was caught, and I didn't interfere.

This is what happened to my males: First male mated once, I tried again, but he stupidly flew in fron of a female in fear and then bye bye for him...Another(Number 3) came out deformed, so he was fed(yes, yes cruel me, but he was about to die anyways.) Another(Number 2. He was a beauty, with reddish markings and pink eyes. I managed to mate him with a gorgeous female with pink highlights, so I'm expecting very pretty nymphs.) died of unknown causes, excpet he had a dented eye, and the last is still standing strong.(Mated fourth yesterday night.) So all in all, not canabalism during or after mating. My males seem very confident. Stayed on the females for days after mating, until I had to forcibly remove them for another female.(Hey, the more they mate, the happier they are.) I lost two female adults to cannibalism, cause I didn't feed them for like a couple of days(ran out of natural food) and they had skinny stomachs. Now, when well fed with flies, crickets, etc., no casualties. I have three ooths, and expecting many more. So far, I'm loving this species! :lol:

Now, it is just my experiences and all may not be the same, so don't blame me if all yours die. :p

Kruszakus: I have no idea how hard it is to raise PO nymphs, but my C. Gemmatus(L2-L3) is practically perfect so far!(2 days. :lol: ) They aren't little ###### because they actually try to catch prey!(Even though they look kinda full.)

Don't worry too much about it! (Or at least if you have PO) One of my males has been paired with 4 different females! he is sure some stud...Also, I keep the together still. (Subadult-to adult) As long as their tummies are full to the max, you should have not problems as adults, as long as you have more than one of each sex. (I have 8 females, 4 males.) As subadult, I didn't have any casualties. They did get into little fights, but no one was caught, and I didn't interfere.

This is what happened to my males: First male mated once, I tried again, but he stupidly flew in fron of a female in fear and then bye bye for him...Another(Number 3) came out deformed, so he was fed(yes, yes cruel me, but he was about to die anyways.) Another(Number 2. He was a beauty, with reddish markings and pink eyes. I managed to mate him with a gorgeous female with pink highlights, so I'm expecting very pretty nymphs.) died of unknown causes, excpet he had a dented eye, and the last is still standing strong.(Mated fourth yesterday night.) So all in all, not canabalism during or after mating. My males seem very confident. Stayed on the females for days after mating, until I had to forcibly remove them for another female.(Hey, the more they mate, the happier they are.) I lost two female adults to cannibalism, cause I didn't feed them for like a couple of days(ran out of natural food) and they had skinny stomachs. Now, when well fed with flies, crickets, etc., no casualties. I have three ooths, and expecting many more. So far, I'm loving this species! :lol:

Now, it is just my experiences and all may not be the same, so don't blame me if all yours die. :p

Kruszakus: I have no idea how hard it is to raise PO nymphs, but my C. Gemmatus(L2-L3) is practically perfect so far!(2 days. :lol: ) They aren't little ###### because they actually try to catch prey!(Even though they look kinda full.)
after reading this i cant wait to breed them..thanks for the info i really appreciate it..pitty your not in the uk.i want to find a few contacts that also breed these flower mantis..any way mine are getting sent out on monday..im going to post a thread here so any help will be greatly appreciated

I know just one thing - if all my Wahlbergii die (I had eleven, now left with six) - I'm switching to P. Ocellata, there is no god damn way I'm giving up on flower mantids! The looks, the movements, the size (I don't like big and clumsy mantids) - everything what I want is there.

I know just one thing - if all my Wahlbergii die (I had eleven, now left with six) - I'm switching to P. Ocellata, there is no god damn way I'm giving up on flower mantids! The looks, the movements, the size (I don't like big and clumsy mantids) - everything what I want is there.
well i have a gaint asain mantis female..i wouldnt say there bad mantis..there massive,,!there good looking but i prefer the looks of the flower mantis.

God damn it! 3rd instar just crushed and devoured 2nd instar - I'm down one P. Wahlbergii... well it's still better than seeing them starve to death.

Agree both are nice species. P. ocellata is easier to rear to adult and easier to breed (compared to P. wahlbergii) for me. They grow into adult sooner and mate willingly. BUt if you have problem keeping PW, you may see the same problem with PO.

Agree both are nice species. P. ocellata is easier to rear to adult and easier to breed (compared to P. wahlbergii) for me. They grow into adult sooner and mate willingly. BUt if you have problem keeping PW, you may see the same problem with PO.
iv been keeping mantis about 3 months ish,,my 2nd ones where pair of P. wahlbergii..very easy to have..room is 75f..there very easy to look after..as easy as the giant Asian imo.

i just looked at thread again..nice pics buddie..what camera re u using and why is some flick pics not viewable

Nah, couldnt b bothered to say who lol

Plus i thought it sounded funny :lol:

PWmalecloseup.jpg

This is one of my male PW's.

A few more, still a lonely male sub :(

2145630449_5bfab8c5dd.jpg

Gave him a little treat of a honey dipped waxworm

2145630451_8f744939d6.jpg

Dont touch him he knows mantis kung foo!

Some one on BN has just put one up for sale, hasnt replied yet, it would be nice to breed these

yer its great fun../waiting for my 1st ooth to hatch..should be another week.. :D i have 80 nympths allready..2 died so far.