Spiney flower mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh wow, just ckecked on my dads recently matured one and it looks 100% like ur whalbergiis, and he has bright blue eyes! its amazing, ive omly ever seen them go purple b4

Thanks Christain, at least people will listen now.

Well my one has the same warning pattern asur ocealata, and the shield looks similar but not the same but the spikes look like a whlabergii!Just what is the pooint of people bringing identicle species to culture, oh and entomoly-GIST lol
Mate, the pattern does not matter. Have you not listened to anything me or Christain have rabbeted on about :p ;)

And if they were identical then they wouldn't have different scientific names and we wouldn't be even having this conversation ;)

Rob.

Sweet pictures Yen! I did not expect them to be this big... for a small species.Mine are small and black as ashes, but soon... ;)

They are not as agressive as C. Elongata? I reckon they cannot tackle a 20-25 milimeters cricket?
Thanks Kruszakus. yeah a nice small species they are, although small in size, they can handle large prey. Based on what i have seen, Pseudocreobotra sp. is as agressive as the Creoboter sp.

Well my one has the same warning pattern asur ocealata, and the shield looks similar but not the same but the spikes look like a whlabergii!Just what is the pooint of people bringing identicle species to culture, oh and entomoly-GIST lol
They look alike but really a different species, although in the same genus. Now if people start to interbreed PW and PO then that will be bad and confusing.

Yeah - I noticed that the first instar was stalking its prey just like grown C. Elongata did the other day - it was fun to watch, now I have to wait a couple of days, they seem to be almost ready for their first molt.

By the way - when do they lose the black color?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gez... i was sick for a few days and this spiny flower issue exploded into such confusion! :blink: and got dragged into this by asdsdf comments. See what you have done Morpheus :p I think asdsdf is a little too excited with his P. Ocellata and misunderstood what i told him as "rule" to apply :lol: . If i misled you in anyway Jasper i'm sorry but they are "generally" true especially compare to P. Wahlbergii but not the keys for ID.
Heh heh heh......sorry!

No need to apologize. I am telling you what i seen too. and it is from group of hundreds of P. Ocellata and P. Wahlbergii so i wasn't only picking the extreme specimen on the pics shown above. Those who bought from me will know what i am talking about. Actually, i didn't see ANY of the P. Ocellata larger than P. Wahlbergii from hundreds of them in my culture, and if the pronotum is not wider than the eye-point, you can pretty sure it is a P. Ocellata even they are at subadult stage, and the lobes on the abdomen are just another obvious thing i see, it is my observation from hunderds of both PW and PO and not just couple of them, anyone with half a brain can see that really. Unless the person has none of either specimen at all to compare with.

ID keys are for reference, it is dead and needs to be revised whenever possible. But human are alive, remember that.

WOOHOO!!!! I mated my PO, 8 days after she matured!!! I couldn't wait, and thought I could give it a try, since she was ver very fat and well fed. It worked!!! The male had to try many many tmes, but eventually, he got it!!! The problem is, it seems mantids are pervs too. ... :lol:

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

Em.. guys, I seem to have a problem.

My C. Wahlbergii don't want to eat - they are refusing food for the second day already! And some of them have very flat abdomens! I keep them at 25-28 degrees celcius, with low humidity, all of them in separate containers.

I just don't know what seems to be the matter!

I don't know - the one with the most swollen abdomen is still up for a D. Hydei from time to time, but the rest just does not want to eat - whitch is strange, very strange - because my friend has twelve mantids from the same ooth, and they still eat... damn it! Why these mantids must be so troublesome?!

I don't know - the one with the most swollen abdomen is still up for a D. Hydei from time to time, but the rest just does not want to eat - whitch is strange, very strange - because my friend has twelve mantids from the same ooth, and they still eat... damn it! Why these mantids must be so troublesome?!
Hmmm....I never had any troubles feeding them. Like Yen said, they seem to be molting. How old are they?

They are about ten days old, maybe even a little bit more.

Four hours ago I took three of them to my friend, who taught me how to feed mantids from a needle.

When I arrived, we found out that one was dead already (it was alive half an hour before). Furthermore, the lids from other containers had reddish stains on them, looks like mantids are vomiting - they took D. Hydei from a needle, but quickly stopped munching and just left their supper... this does not bode well...

They are about ten days old, maybe even a little bit more.
10 year old nymphs may be molting. The usually molt pretty often during their earlier days. I have two Nigerian Flower Mantises, they didn't eat a lot when they were little. Only ate probably one tiny melanogaster fly every two days. However, when I shined a really bright light, (those emergnecy 5 LED lights) on them, they would eat more. Maybe it was like their natural habitat, where it was very bright???? Dunno, just something I noticed. Now, when older, they eat more often. I guess you could give it a try. <_<

But they have a very bright light - my lamp is only 25 cm above their shelf, it's bright as heck.

Guess I should have bought at least ten of them...

But they have a very bright light - my lamp is only 25 cm above their shelf, it's bright as heck.Guess I should have bought at least ten of them...
I used a really bright one. You know, the ones that have warning labels not to shine in the eyes? Anyways, how many do you have? Just dump a whole bunch of melanogaster inside, and if they are hungry, they may eat one. (Just my opinion.)

I use 11V - gives very bright, cold light - each shelf looks very aesthetic this way :)

I did it, they did not want to hunt, I gave only one, they did not want to, I tried feeding from a needle - you know the answer to that... what a troublesome little bastards, I knew I should have taken B. Mendica or C. Elongata instead!

I use 11V - gives very bright, cold light - each shelf looks very aesthetic this way :) I did it, they did not want to hunt, I gave only one, they did not want to, I tried feeding from a needle - you know the answer to that... what a troublesome little bastards, I knew I should have taken B. Mendica or C. Elongata instead!
Don't worry! I hated my Nigerians, and now I like them. (Yes, the had skinngy little abdomens) Just dump a whole bunch and let them be. If they are starving, the'll just eat one to keep them alive. You'll like them when they are older.

P.S. (I think almost all flower mantises are extremely nervous when little, so those mentioned may have the same problem.) Plus, if they don't eat and starve to death, think of it as natural selection.