Sponges?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glock34girl

Reaction score
I bought two types today. The colorful one Iam a bit hesitant to use because it feels damp when I opened it and Iam not sure if its a chemical or what. The other is called a walnut sponge. Does it matter which is used for the humidity?

5298B30C-2960-4A0A-A385-85BF22E2AA72-1021-000000AADBEEEDA8.jpg

A8D6AF93-1BC0-4AF8-87A0-E1AC811A11A4-1021-000000AACE4755B2.jpg

I feel like neither of these would hold much moisture. I use plain sponges from the dollar store that come in a 6 pack. Real soft foam.

Becareful what sponges you use! Some have antibacterial chemicals and such added to them, others just the chemicals in the color can be bad...if you're looking for a humidity kind of sponge, best to use natural sponges that arevery soft, or see of you can just find soft ones like Andrew said...

ohhhh well that is very good to know! I am glad I didn't put it in! I was boiling them at the moment but I think i will pass on them. They were at the dollar store? I must be missing something. I was there and i only saw lufas. I will look again. I worry the the ghosts aren't getting the humidity. I spray twice a day though.

William Sonoma has compressed (dehydrated) kitchen sponges sold in little nets. These are pure sponge with no added nothin.' Or just use a paper towel substrate. I also use those little flat cotton rounds people use to remove makeup and such. Find them in any drugstore. I lay one or two on the cage bottom and dampen with distilled H2O. Works like a charm for a little humidity.

William Sonoma has compressed (dehydrated) kitchen sponges sold in little nets. These are pure sponge with no added nothin.' Or just use a paper towel substrate. I also use those little flat cotton rounds people use to remove makeup and such. Find them in any drugstore. I lay one or two on the cage bottom and dampen with distilled H2O. Works like a charm for a little humidity.
oh sweet! There is a WS around the corner from my work! Also, I had those cotton rounds in my hot little hands but it said it had aloe in it so i put it back. lol DARN IT. thanks for the info!

They dont need that much humidity, spray them once a day and rest easy. If you want use some wet towel, but really is not necessary!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did that years ago. I didn't care for it. Paper towels work much better and can just be tossed out. In the pic below you can see sponges. I don't recommend you trying them. Some do have chemicals added as well.

animals321_zps6c541848.jpg

Yeah, I decided against the sponges that I put photos of and paid 15 bucks for William Sonoma sponges hahaha. But I will see how they fair without them. I sprayed them today and placed their enclosure in the garden because it gets nice sun but not direct as to fry them and it seemed to be much better than my cold dark house. I let them be for about two hours and it seemed to produce a good sweat inside. Brought them back in and under their light but Iam thinking less movement of their enclosure is better.

Latest posts