Tank Screen Discovery

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterF

Reaction score
Some of our 8 and 10 gallon tanks have slide out covers (like a drawer) instead of ones that just sit on the top with lips.

I was looking at these, considering gluing a fine mesh under the screen to keep in fruit flies, should I use it for mantids.

I noticed that the screen was kept in the cover the same way it is in a window screen. The rubber line all the way around.

I haven't done it yet, but it should be simple to replace it with mesh, and change it back later. I really don't like making permanent changes.

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know, in case you have one like this and it might help you.

Well since mantis love to be on top,on the screen, how will you slide it open to feed or what ever with them there?

it could be a hassle to open with out hurting or breaking there legs. unless I'm not getting what your saying.

I don't ever use those larger tanks for tiny nymphs that need fruit flies. Much better to try net cages or the good ole reliable 32 oz cups.

Well since mantis love to be on top,on the screen, how will you slide it open to feed or what ever with them there?

it could be a hassle to open with out hurting or breaking there legs. unless I'm not getting what your saying.
You are getting what I am saying.

I omitted the part where, because it is a replaceable screen, I can can put a hole in the mesh and not feel bad about it (because it will be easy to replace).

Said hole can be plugged as normal, used for feeding as normal, and I shouldn't need to slide open the cage.

The bigger problem is long term. Mold, rehousing, changing the mesh back to screen. But I am fairly confident I can cope with those situations.

Latest posts