Tarachodula Pantherina baby enclosures

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice habitats! I hope that you can raise them all successfully! Where do you get the mantids from? 

- MantisGirl13

They look good but the only thing I would be worried about is the hole size in the mesh...it's small enough to keep a nymph in but what about their prey? Are you starting them off with fruit flies? Fruit flies can fit thru really tiny holes, they are able to get past aluminum screen sized holes so you need to make sure any mesh you use is very fine.

:)  Well at least you had what you needed. Can you send some more pictures of your new nymphs in their new habitats?

- MantisGirl13

@Little Mantis @MantisGirl13

Here's what i have them in for now. the small square one has 2 in it for now. What i might do is get some sticks. Clean them. use the containers i was going to orginally but maybe find a way to cover up some of the holes so its not as easy for them to get out. Not sure yet.

netcages.jpg

The net cages looks nice but if they can escscape that isn't good. I use for my nymphs deli cups with a fake flower in it.

They would've escaped for the deili cup. What i decide to do is do a very small slit to put ventilation in. But alot less big then i orginally did. Then i will glue sticks in there.

I just use deli cups as-is with a standard polyfiber lid for my nymphs.  However, I have also used deli cups that had pinprick sized holes in 2 rows near the very top. If the mantis has special requirements for ventilation then I'd use a popup net cage like the ones you have. But for most mantises you can use the deli cups with the only holes being in the lid. This provides adequate ventilation, you dont need to cut sections out of the cup. Also, I'm curious why did you glue 3 sticks to the lid? Mantises can hang onto the bottom of the lid without anything else being there. When you put sticks in a deli cup it's better to place them vertically so they can climb up to the lid.

Nice net cages. It sounds like you got a great deal! I hope that you can figure out more permanent enclosures soon!

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts