Terrarium size

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
more coming in tomorrow. 
Yay!!! :D  

My 3 combined orders haven't shipped yet. I got the tracking number on Sat night tho. Hoping it actually ships today. I placed a 4th order on Monday since there was still 50% off again for Cyber Monday, so I just bought some feeders. 

Speaking of BB flies, I am unsure of fly size (for stepping up to the next size)  I know the smallest is melanogaster then hydei is bigger, but what about Turkish gliders? And which is bigger the blue bottle or house flies?
I believe for flies it goes Stable>House>BB for size (smallest to largest).

my food chart from smallest to largest is

melanogaster, house fly, blue bottle, then larger are mealworms, superworms, Brown moths located in Florida, and some roaches.

@rantology @PrayingMantisPets Thank you!  I despise those darned tiny melanogaster. They get everywhere LOL... I assume curly wing houseflies would be a good step up from the hydei?  I ordered some bean beetles. I hope they are a good size for my larger nymphs.

Last edited by a moderator:
@rantology @PrayingMantisPets Thank you!  I despise those darned tiny melanogaster. They get everywhere LOL... I assume curly wing houseflies would be a good step up from the hydei?  I ordered some bean beetles. I hope they are a good size for my larger nymphs.
I never used bean beatle let me know how big they are I think I might get some too.

Just wanted to add that I had my Chinese in a nano tall (8"x8"x12") and while it does fit the size requirements, it can be a bit cramped, especially for an active species.  I bumped him up to the 12"x12"x18" and he seemed to enjoy the extra space, always roaming around.  After he died, I got a wild-caught adult female Chinese and she is in that one now and she's also benefiting from the extra space.  And as mentioned, it does allow you to decorate more without taking up their space too much.

Some species can also do well in large mesh enclosures which are cheaper, so if you want to give them more space without spending as much money, that could be an option too.

Just wanted to add that I had my Chinese in a nano tall (8"x8"x12") and while it does fit the size requirements, it can be a bit cramped, especially for an active species.  I bumped him up to the 12"x12"x18" and he seemed to enjoy the extra space, always roaming around.  After he died, I got a wild-caught adult female Chinese and she is in that one now and she's also benefiting from the extra space.  And as mentioned, it does allow you to decorate more without taking up their space too much.

Some species can also do well in large mesh enclosures which are cheaper, so if you want to give them more space without spending as much money, that could be an option too.
Thanks for the tips... Speaking of mesh, I'm in  Florida so was wondering when temperatures were ideal, if it would be fine to put them in a mesh enclosure for a few hours during the day?

@DefyTheNorms from what I remember when I was in Florida the humidity/temp should be just fine for a shield. Ripley does fine even when the humidity drops (as it often does in an exo terra unless you cover the lid with glass) and unless they're molting a mesh enclosure shouldn't be much of an issue!

@DefyTheNorms from what I remember when I was in Florida the humidity/temp should be just fine for a shield. Ripley does fine even when the humidity drops (as it often does in an exo terra unless you cover the lid with glass) and unless they're molting a mesh enclosure shouldn't be much of an issue!
Perfect thank you! I dont' know if mantids really care, but when I take them out on my hand they really seem to enjoy it. They seem to perk up and get inquisitive. But I'm nervous that I'll lose them so thought of putting them in mesh tents for some "fresh air" lol

Latest posts