The FIRST Praying Mantis in SPACE!!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what my uncle sent me

Alex,

This morning, with the help of Yasmine Shad, my director of Quality Systems, we sent three brave crickets in their crew capsule inside of the launch capsule into our -80 centigrade freezer for an hour. That is the same as -112 F !!! This is likely much colder than what they will encounter this Saturday.

I left them in the capsule for an additional 30 minutes than put them their plastic recvoery bag. To my dismay, they appeared to be...well,dead. About an hour later, just before I was about to pass them along to Durate sanitation, they moved! Now they are jumping around and seem happy as can be!!

This is a very important successful experiment. I am more confident than ever that we will be able to keep our astrosects alive. '

Stay tuned!

Very good news. Weather patterns are holding and our GPS tracking system (the AE35 unit ;) ) tracked perfectly on the way home last night, on our ride this morning, and in the capsule in my car into work this morning.

Unless something changes with the weather, it looks like we good to go on Sat. We are currently planning to meet up at the Coffee Bean on Indian Hill in Claremont between 5:50 and 6am in order to get to the launch site (probably south of Ontario airport somewhere off the 15) and be able to launch early enough to avoid early morning winds.

More details to come. Get excited. It looks like were going to do this.

Your uncle seems very legit. I wish I had an uncle that awesome. All of mine mostly drink and have problems :p . Can't wait to see the experiment in action. I mean, this project seems to be more or less for fun (considering conditions can be tested independently and the "goal" is "they come back alive") that being said I remember how much fun this would be if I were 12 again (I would still probably have a blast with it now). Best of luck :)

WE DID IT! They went up. I want everyone to reply to this and say whether or not you think they lived or not.

I took many videos and pictures :)

Sadly instead of using mantids we decided to use crickets. Next time we will use mantids. This was more of a test one. I AM DEFINETLY GONNA SEND A MANTIS UP NEXTIME AROUND!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
So I realized how long it would take for everyone to state your opinion so I will tell you what happened now.

THEY LIVED!!!!!! :D

They were adult crickets and came out jumping literally!!!!

They are eating now. Pics will be uploaded to the blog so I will tell you when that happens.

I wanna know why you guys thought they would die?? ???

You must not have put them in orbit then. No amount of heat packs will save em there.

You must not have put them in orbit then. No amount of heat packs will save em there.
We sent them past the troposphere, throught the Tropopause, into the stratosphere and almost to the mesosphere.

I think you are confused.

The Troposphere is Warm

But the the Tropopause is cold

Then the stratosphere is warm again.

So it goes Warm, cold, warm ;)

Its isnt a constant cold.

Thats into space. It was actually hot when we touched the capsule.

:)

I knew they'd live :)
Thanks! Its good to know someone believed in me.

Pics are coming soon!!!!!

I'm thinking the mission was probably a failure and they didn't reach the heights envisioned for them. How do you know how far they went up? I will wait for pics. If the crickets died in the freezer test, how could they survive this?

The freezer temps were much colder than they would ever experience. They died 2 days later.

the temps they reached today were so much warmer than they would experience in the freezer so thats were you are wrong

We filmed the crickets during there time up in space

Lets see if these guys die soon before I start assuming it was a success. Sorry

The pics will definetly help you guys understand the situation, plus I interview my uncle in a video. I also taped us filling the weather balloon and creating the capsule

Latest posts