The FIRST Praying Mantis in SPACE!!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, whats up with the age thing. You always comment on my age. This is the 3rd time you have done it. No I am not in High School. Why do you want to know? :huh:

Aside from that, the quote "You have no way of knowing how they died from freezing, lack of oxygen or lonliness" obviously means you did not read ANY or enough of this to understand what exactly the experiment is. There is a camera to video tape their trip. The box will be insulated, heat stays in, cool stays out.

My main concern is the atmospheric pressure. We dont want the box exploding of flattening. My and my uncle are working on that.

Please read the ENTIRE thing beofre posting
Hate to say it Phil is right though...There is not enough Styrofoam in hel1 to keep those guys warm. That is forgetting about the pressure...

Sorry, Hartearem,; I didn't mean to offend you, I did read your info right through,and I asked if you were in HS (again!) because I never know, at that age if you have had a HS level intro to science.

If your balloon enters the stratosphere, it will pass through a zone of -20C temp. and will pass through it again on the way down. I'm sure that you and your uncle will cover all the angles, but a video cam will not tell you the mantids' cause of death. Also, if you maintain a "normal" temp and pressure, what is the purpose of the experiment? (I think that someone mentioned the temp issue already) Do you plan on recording telemetry readouts, oxygen concentration, barometric pressure, temperature, etc? Also, I am sure that you know that a "commercial" camera will not operate below 0C so the whole chamber will need to be temp controlled unless you go to an industrial grade camera.Perhaps i am missing the fundamental reason for your experiment. Are you testing the ability of the mantis to stay alive --we already have a pretty good idea about that -- or the ability of your capsule to sustain invertebrate life, perhaps before trying it on a mouse, a monkey, and who knows, a Hartearem?

In any event, I look forward to hearing what conclusions you draw from your experiment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, Hartearem,; I didn't mean to offend you, I did read your info right through,and I asked if you were in HS (again!) because I never know, at that age if you have had a HS level intro to science.

If your balloon enters the stratosphere, it will pass through a zone of -20C temp. and will pass through it again on the way down. I'm sure that you and your uncle will cover all the angles, but a video cam will not tell you the mantids' cause of death. Also, if you maintain a "normal" temp and pressure, what is the purpose of the experiment? (I think that someone mentioned the temp issue already) Do you plan on recording telemetry readouts, oxygen concentration, barometric pressure, temperature, etc? Also, I am sure that you know that a "commercial" camera will not operate below 0C so the whole chamber will need to be temp controlled unless you go to an industrial grade camera.Perhaps i am missing the fundamental reason for your experiment. Are you testing the ability of the mantis to stay alive --we already have a pretty good idea about that -- or the ability of your capsule to sustain invertebrate life, perhaps before trying it on a mouse, a monkey, and who knows, a Hartearem?

In any event, I look forward to hearing what conclusions you draw from your experiment.
My main concern is the Atmospheric pressure. As I believe, I have already mentioned. I dont want it to explode or flatten. So for the thin oxygen level I am thinking of using freshly cut leaves to boost the oxygen level inside the container

The box will be insulated and kept at a fairly warm temperature from the heat packs. The camera should work still.

Any other concerns will be apprieciated

im not sure if someone said this before but

what about the looooong fall down after the ballon bursts?

perhaps you can pack a little parachute or two.

We are waiting for the winds wouldnt be TOO strong which we assumed it would be in 3 weeks but we will have to wait a little longer. We dont want it to land to far away

I love this idea of mantids in space! If they die, it is in the name of science, but like Phil and others said, you would need cubic miles of styrofoam (with loads of heat pads) and air-tight container for pressure. I seriously do not mean to be a 'debbie-downer' about this idea, so maybe there is some unknown factor out there that will allow them to live: but if they die, dont give up, let it strengthen this idea and improve the 'capsule' so they can survive and we will know more about mantids in spac and things alike! :D

The best of luck!

-Andrew

Aww. Thanks for the support, I have set up the capsule and prepared the mantis

The winds have been reported to be TOO strong until mid June where it calms down.

Sorry for the wait. Its gonna take a little longer for the winds to die down

Don't hold your breath. Winds were supposed to die down mid-June. 6........5..........4......................................................................???

Its just way too windy. I was actually just about to call my uncle cause we cant send it up. The winds were supposed to die down in June but it never did. I still have some nymphs for the lift off just waiting..... Sorry guys. Maybe in fall.

Latest posts