The FIRST Praying Mantis in SPACE!!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My uncle is part of NASA so we have some brains to help out. I know what I am gonna do

An air tight cup (Made for food) placed in a plastic bag tightly shut. Inside the cage there will be heat packs and in the bag otuside of the cup. I was thinking of adding a freshly cut leaf in there as it will still release oxygen until it dries out but I dont know.

About the cold. It will pop before it gets to cold. So they main point is seeing how long they can survive with the pressure

The scientific side of my brain would be curious to also see how some fertile ooths handle the trip, if they will hatch, and what sort of hatch rate you would get if they do. Just think you could market them as special space mantises. :stuart:

The bleeding heart in me however weeps at the thought of sending tons more to their doom.

Godspeed young mantids. I hope they make it back home in one piece.

How many are you going to send up?

You have to post a video...please.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am gonna send up 3 brave mantises.

btw I was confuesed at first, there will be no camera as of right now. So there might not be a video. But I will surely take picturesa

wont the mantids die a horribly slow painful death from the pressure and lack of oxygen?

It's been done before with more advanced animals. So this, I believe, will only be useful to you in killing a few mantid. I was so looking forward to the video. :mad: I knew it was too good to be true.

I think this is a cool idea! Give the kid a chance to have fun and maybe do something that, yes, could help science's understanding of mantids. Saying that, I do not mean that they don't know anything already about these creatures. Overall it is a good idea and I am excited to see how it turns out.

Good Luck, Hertarem!

I can tell you that even buying a ooth from overseas, the high altitude the planes sometimes fly is enough to kill a ooth.

But try to get some video of all of it, if you do it?

I think it wont be useful for just me and I think it is a great idea.

I hope I get a video, if not I will bring my camera and take pics so you get the idea of how it will be set up.

What do you think the point of putting monarch cocoons up in space was?... guess what... those cocoons enclosed in space :D

NASA has sent all kinds of live critters up in the space shuttle.

Dont know if they ever sent any mantids though!!??

For a price, they would be happy to reserve a spot for your mantis ;)

i thought of an advantage to this

remember the movie wall-e? the earth got so polluted humans moved into space? well if this happens to us, at least we know whether or not we can continue this hobby ;)

You want to send nymphs? Why not adults? They might be tougher. Or maybe send adults and nymphs, double the death ratio :devil2:

.............One thing I can say is even if you managed to keep them warm(good luck on that) the air is so thin they will surely die from oxygen deprivation long before they come back down, the container would need to be 100% air tight.
Maybe he could build a pressurized cabin for the mantis. I've heard about spiderlings 'ballooning' up to the stratosphere on a long piece of web. Sometimes they survive the trip.

Wow, I do hope the survive. But I really hate how you guys are thinking this is a suicide mission for them.

Its a scientific experiment that will hopefully go well

Here's some fact's for you to ponder that detail the harshness of said experiment. But as I said, have FUN and good luck!

In the lower part of the atmosphere, known as the troposphere, the temperature generally drops at a rate of about 2.5 degrees per 1,000 feet on a cloudy, humid day to about 4 degrees per 1,000 feet on a sunny, dry day. But the rate can vary depending on atmospheric conditions.

The temperature gradually drops until you get to about 38,000 feet, where it's about 75 degrees below zero Fahrenheit. At that point, you reach the stratosphere, where the temperature goes up again until you're about 30 miles up, peaking up around 20-25 degrees above zero.

Beyond that, it takes a series of dips and spikes, until it reaches the outer edge 55 miles up, where it's over 1,000 degrees, but the air is so thin, it'd feel cold to human touch. :eek:

Again, as I mentioned. IT WILL POP WHEN THE PRESSURE IS TO EXTREME! Probally before the Stratosphere

So I dont have to worry about the cold as much as I would

You three mantids may make the ultimate sacrifice in the name of science. You three have done more by taking these first steps towards progress for humanity than most of us will make in our lifetime. Know that it’s not about whether you make it back, but about how far you took it. You will transcend the boundaries of mortality for you will live forever in our memories and our prayers. Good luck and Godspeed.

Latest posts