The FIRST Praying Mantis in SPACE!!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they will surely die from lack of oxygen and high pressure.

you'll be killing 3 mantises for no reason.

i wouldn't do.

they will die.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys stop criticizing him for sending a few nymphs of a common species into space because theres a chance they might die

Think of 1: how many die in the wild from predators 2: how many we accidentally kill while keeping them for rediculous reasons (I accidentally killed an oxy nymph on the zipper of the net cage earlier today) and 3: how many other animals humans have killed for science on stuff they will use (such as testing medicines on cats or making vaccines by infecting a developing chicken, all of which humans will use, not cats, chickens, or other animals), his experiment is to see if a mantis can survive in a space environment and he may be onto something, we found a way to make humans survive in space so we surely can find ways for a mantis to do the same thing

Jeez I'm tired of all the scrutiny he's getting :mad:

Guys stop criticizing him for sending a few nymphs of a common species into space because theres a chance they might die

Think of 1: how many die in the wild from predators 2: how many we accidentally kill while keeping them for rediculous reasons (I accidentally killed an oxy nymph on the zipper of the net cage earlier today) and 3: how many other animals humans have killed for science on stuff they will use (such as testing medicines on cats or making vaccines by infecting a developing chicken, all of which humans will use, not cats, chickens, or other animals), his experiment is to see if a mantis can survive in a space environment and he may be onto something, we found a way to make humans survive in space so we surely can find ways for a mantis to do the same thing

Jeez I'm tired of all the scrutiny he's getting :mad:
Jeez thanks Alex

That is exactly my point. I have killed Stagmo nymphs with the cage zipper too. lol

If they brought monarch cocoons in space and they eclosed IN SPACE, with the butterflies floating around

why cant a mantis go up in space and live? I want all the reasons!!!

Theoretically if it is in an environment that meets the criteria of the environment it has adapted to, it will survive

That's how we in the US can keep species from Africa and Asia and stuff without them dying, if we simulate their natural habitat they will live as if in their natural habitat, they don't know the difference

So if they r in a chamber protecting them from harsh space environment and simulating their home then they should be fine

Make sense??

I like the experiment and personally I think they will live, they won't get near space... but they will get very high up and I think that's pretty cool. I'd say they have to worry about the landing more than the temperatures and pressure.

:D good luck mate

UPDATE-

My Uncle sent me pictures of the capsule where the cup wiil be held.

THERE WILL BE A VIDEO!

It is insulated, do you see the camera? The Tracking Chip?

_DSC4671.jpg

You probably can't tell from the image of the inside of our capsule, but the space available for cargo and passengers is about 5"W x 5"L x 3"D. The phone we'll use as a GPS transmitter is under the middle piece of foam. Send a picture, if you can, of what you think you want to use for the mantis container. I have small hand warmers (Uniheat) for heat and we can put more foam around the container to help keep it warm. The following is a link to one of a few web sites by people who have launched a balloon. There are more videos on Youtube - search for weather balloon.

Brooklyn space program

:D

Tens of thousands of mantis die every day, at least these ones will have the ride of their life, and who know's they may make it, and on another note if you listen to everyone you'll never do anything worth while, so have some fun in the name of science! ;)

lol

im just messing with you guys!

i just hate the idea of losing mantids.

they're soooo cute and i hate it when they die.

i just lost one today due to old age.

i called him little stevey, cause when i got him he was smaller than his siblings.

go ahead and send em up into "space".

plz tell me if they live, id like to know.

good luck :balloon:

Well, son, you seem to have a very cool and helpful uncle! After that it goes down hill. Are you in high school this year? Here's what you do. Look up "atmosphere" or better yet, "stratosphere" on the internet. You will learn that, contrary to what we might expect, the temperature, which drops as we rise through the lowest layer, the troposphere, begins to steadily rise as we proceed (I say "we". I mean you, because I am not going) but at the bottom of the stratosphere, at about 20K, the temp is -20C, so all of your mantids will be dead long before they get there. You could get the same result by placing them in the freezer for half an hour or so, though that doesn't get much colder than -5C, depending on how you twiddle the nob.

I frankly don't care whether you kill a few mantids or not, but your "expweriment' seems pretty pointless. You know the outcome in advance, and you will have no way to tell if they died from freezing from lack of oxygen or loneliness.

The stratosphere is part of our "biosphere" because it supports life, but only microbial spores and a few birds that can survive the lowest levels for a short while. What you might want to consider is sending up some moldy bread (instant penicillin)! and seeing if it is still alive on its return to earth. Try talking to your uncle about it, and remember, :

Well, son, you seem to have a very cool and helpful uncle! After that it goes down hill. Are you in high school this year? Here's what you do. Look up "atmosphere" or better yet, "stratosphere" on the internet. You will learn that, contrary to what we might expect, the temperature, which drops as we rise through the lowest layer, the troposphere, begins to steadily rise as we proceed (I say "we". I mean you, because I am not going) but at the bottom of the stratosphere, at about 20K, the temp is -20C, so all of your mantids will be dead long before they get there. You could get the same result by placing them in the freezer for half an hour or so, though that doesn't get much colder than -5C, depending on how you twiddle the nob.

I frankly don't care whether you kill a few mantids or not, but your "expweriment' seems pretty pointless. You know the outcome in advance, and you will have no way to tell if they died from freezing from lack of oxygen or loneliness.

The stratosphere is part of our "biosphere" because it supports life, but only microbial spores and a few birds that can survive the lowest levels for a short while. What you might want to consider is sending up some moldy bread (instant penicillin)! and seeing if it is still alive on its return to earth. Try talking to your uncle about it, and remember, :
Again, whats up with the age thing. You always comment on my age. This is the 3rd time you have done it. No I am not in High School. Why do you want to know? :huh:

Aside from that, the quote "You have no way of knowing how they died from freezing, lack of oxygen or lonliness" obviously means you did not read ANY or enough of this to understand what exactly the experiment is. There is a camera to video tape their trip. The box will be insulated, heat stays in, cool stays out.

My main concern is the atmospheric pressure. We dont want the box exploding of flattening. My and my uncle are working on that.

Please read the ENTIRE thing beofre posting

lol

im just messing with you guys!

i just hate the idea of losing mantids.

they're soooo cute and i hate it when they die.

i just lost one today due to old age.

i called him little stevey, cause when i got him he was smaller than his siblings.

go ahead and send em up into "space".

plz tell me if they live, id like to know.

good luck :balloon:
Ok, then

Thanks for those kind words

Latest posts