the gongy desert!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rantology

Reaction score
My new desert setup for gongys, with a crew of feigning beetles who live below  :p

G17cTH2.png

Beetles seem to enjoy the leftovers magically raining from above....

https://i.imgur.com/Ycr1uR0.gifv 

That’s amazing! I always thought desert habitats were too bare to replicate in an interesting way, but that’s incredible! Nice job!

Also, I always wondered this. What’s the stuff you use at the back as a sort of 3D wallpaper?

It looks awesome, well done!  Nice to see something so different, especially with the red rock background.

As amazing as this looks, this isn’t really ideal for Gongylus whatsoever. I hate being the guy when people create amazing environments and they just aren’t right for the species.

Gongylus gongylodes is in the family Empusidae, which is a family of mantids that can’t climb glass or smooth plastic due to their physical makeup of their feet. Gongylus do so much better (same goes for Idolomantis) in an entirely mesh cage with a 60W heat lamp above. There also doesn’t seem to be enough sticks for moulting opportunities.

Not sure what the thing on the bottom, looks like a food bowl? This species should only really be fed flies (the odd runner for adults is fine) so not sure what the bowl is for, maybe for the beetles I’m assuming, which I’d say housing them together may be a point of regret soon. 

Again, the enclosure looks amazing and would definitely be perfect for something like a desert species of giant centipede or something, but isn’t really ideal for this mantis species. 

Sorry for being a downer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @LamboMantisMan23 - no problem whatsoever. I'd much rather be educated than provide suboptimal care for an animal. Like you said this setup as I posted it was not ideal at all for this species as I painfully learned (I lost 2 of my 5 nymphs). I've revised it quite a lot since though and I think I've improved it quite a bit for them.. The sides now have mesh on them and the top has course fish-net hanging from it which they seem to be very content to hang out on and molt on.

Here's a pic of what it currently looks like (it's higher than it looks, that's a small clay slope at the back): 
jqsPuFl.png

I've still got a bit of tidying up to do with it and I want to change a little bit of the layout but so far they seem to be doing much better. I've had 2 sets of molts with no problems (aside from one slightly bent foot because one tried to molt in a very strange spot low to the ground). They have a ceramic heat emitter and it's got a gradient of low 90s to mid 80s in there.... the food bowl you commented on is for the feigning beetles that live on the ground ?  I've had no issues with them cohabiting the space with the mantids so far.. but that is a bit of an experiment in itself

It's my first experience with this species/family and they are so unique... it's definitely been a learning experience. Hoping I can keep these guys happy and healthy with no more issues so I can continue to keep them, they sure are amazing

Now that seems a LOT better. Seems pretty perfect to me. Just gotta make sure humidity doesn’t get too high, they love it very hot and dry.

Glad to see the improvements, got no issues with it now. I’m sure they’ll love it

I agree. I think this setup is very creative! The netting is perfect for them, and It looks like you have a good family of violins in there. ;)  Good job!

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts