The habitat I constructed for my mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preying mantis

Reaction score
I fashioned this completely out of junk that I found around my house. The container is a plastic tub that I purchased paintballs in years ago (had just been sitting in my closet empty for years). I cut a square out of the lid and hot-glued wire mesh from a cricket container that I found fishing once.

My mantis seems to enjoy it, and I would like to see what you guys think about it. Thank you!

2012-11-13 17-52-37.876.jpg

2012-11-13 17-53-30.445.jpg

That looks good to me. :)

Can you get a closer photo of the mantis? She may be a Tenodera sp.

Edit: Like Gripen said: It could use more sticks.

However, It is still not bad for an adult mantis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a couple of closer up pictures of the mantis:

And yeah, I have been meaning to do exactly what you suggested with the sticks.

bfj9s.jpg

tkPX8.jpg

I love that species :) so pretty. What I would do in addition to the already recommended "add more sticks" is cut a hole in the side as well and put the same mesh over it. I find it lets more air through and gives more foothold as well.

You can hot glue in some mesh, silk plants, or even sticks to the walls of the container. I wouldn't use the wire mesh inside the container cause it could puncture or cut her. The softer window screen works well, and a roll of it isn't too expensive. Sometimes I just close the lid on a piece of material that hangs inside.

When she is old, if she isn't already, she will be able to get around easier that way.

You can hot glue in some mesh, silk plants, or even sticks to the walls of the container. I wouldn't use the wire mesh inside the container cause it could puncture or cut her. The softer window screen works well, and a roll of it isn't too expensive. Sometimes I just close the lid on a piece of material that hangs inside.

When she is old, if she isn't already, she will be able to get around easier that way.
+1

Latest posts