The Mantis 'Wobble'

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTranquilEye

Reaction score
I've noticed both my mantis wobble during feeding and shortly after just before they clean their raptors. Both also wobble more when eating honey. Is this a mantid's happy behaviour perhaps?

I've noticed both my mantis wobble during feeding and shortly after just before they clean their raptors. Both also wobble more when eating honey. Is this a mantid's happy behaviour perhaps?
You mean kind of shake back and forth? I always took that as excitement for the food....not sure if that is true, but it is definitely normal behavior. :)

I also think different mantises wiggle more than others. My ghost wiggles and shimmies all the time where as my H. Venosa will do a slow rock back and forth. Especially when we hold her up nice and high on our hands.

Mine is doing it and it looks like it does it to try to impress me when she is scared. She does it when she come on my hand, when i feed her etc...

From the information available on this and many sites common view of the mantis "wobble" is that it is ment to cause then to look like a leaf, or other debry, moving in the wind.

Remember they are predators that rely on speed and stealth.

Yeah that's what I thought it might be. Just a behavior they do based on instinct. Not that they don't do everything based on instinct though.. lol So maybe when they're on our hands or arms it feels kind of like a branch to them!

The motion is a type of crpysis. It allows them to remain undetected, especially in windy conditions. It also helps them stalk prey.
Understood but both mine only do it when food's involved. Otherwise they just stay completely motionless.

I notice the behavior while walking for a few species. Ghosts are a primary example. They also do the slow wave from side to side as a visual reference system. They get a better idea of what they are looking at.

Some of mine do it too when feeding ;)  different types of wobble... Some is slower when they come to get the prey, quicker and more "excited like" when I hand feed them or give them honey, then a different type when they are about to fly or jump :D  and crazy me does the wobble with them seems to make them more comfortable lol

My understanding is that wobble has almost nothing to do with mimicry but rather for help perceiving depth. By wobbling they can better separate what they are looking at from the back ground allowing them to better judge distances.  I came across this in science journal, I can see if I can figure out which one it was.  This wobble would have nothing to do with the ghost mantis happy honey dance.  That's a mystery to me.

I call it the Yumyum dance!
Correct. Any entomologist will agree.  A Yummy dance or happy dance.  I've raised quite a few different species and they all do this when munching on a moth or delicious fly.  Or enjoying a bit of fresh honey.   Or, if you must -- mantisman230 is exactly on target in his first response above.  It is a primary example of crpysis.

But I much prefer to interpret it as a yummy or happy dance.  Because it is.  So there.

IMG_20130623_223857.jpg

My understanding is that wobble has almost nothing to do with mimicry but rather for help perceiving depth. By wobbling they can better separate what they are looking at from the back ground allowing them to better judge distances.  I came across this in science journal, I can see if I can figure out which one it was.  This wobble would have nothing to do with the ghost mantis happy honey dance.  That's a mystery to me.
There is a difference. The slow and methodical wave from side to side is the visual aide. The rapid while walking is crypsis. Many insects use a similar method, especially Phasmids.

Maybe it's just their version of the Uhura's fan dance :)

nichelle-nichols_288x288.jpg

All my mantids have done it to some degree with my Ghosts (Phyllocrania paradoxa) doing it the most, and my Dead leaf mantids (Deroplatys desiccata) doing the largest version as adults. Not only they were the largest, but when they did it while out on my arm/hand/etc they usually jumped shortly afterwards, so it made me watch them. ;)

I bought some unadulterated honey from the IT firm I work for. They have 3 hives as part of their 'biodiversity' program.

I gave some to Maude last night and she wobbled like crazy. I had trouble feeding her!

Latest posts