They're finally hatching/Stagmomantis floridensis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
The Larger Florida Mantid (Stagmomantis floridensis) ooths are finally hatching. I got them on 10/1 from Yen and I noticed during feeding today a few nymphs. I think there is a good chance my modified shelf with its higher temps may have brought about the hatching. I will likely keep logs on these due to them being new to the hobby. The nymphs are quite large. I am very excited. ;)

Sweet! :) I hope mine hatch out soon too!
+1

I moved the one I've kept indoors from a 70 degree zone to a 75 degree zone last week. I'm sure mine will be a few more days.

Thanks for letting us know. But you gotta put some pics up!!!

I cant help but to find it kinda ironic they should start to hatch on yen's birthday! :p :lol:
Good catch! I have two ooths. The one that is hatching has only hatched about 8 nymphs all day. I hope more come.

Good catch! I have two ooths. The one that is hatching has only hatched about 8 nymphs all day. I hope more come.
I'm sure there will be more. I haven't had a limbata ooth totally hatch out in less 4 days. The two that I have are at least 80 eggs each or so. If they are 3+3 layers then it could be around 120+. Sometimes day 1 for the limbata are like that too...sometimes just 3. I'd bet that the heaviest day is day 3.

Keep us updated!

oh didn't see this one Rick i was posting on another thread about you sharing the hatching news :lol:

Congrate!!! None of mine hatched yet. Will be interesting to find out if overwintering the oothecae has any effect on the hatching pattern.

oh didn't see this one Rick i was posting on another thread about you sharing the hatching news :lol: Congrate!!! None of mine hatched yet. Will be interesting to find out if overwintering the oothecae has any effect on the hatching pattern.
I have two that have been incubating since i got them, and one i put into diapause. I'm also curious to see if there are any hatching effects on non diapaused ooths vs. diapaused ooths?

PC290289.jpg

PC290288.jpg

PC2902872.jpg

Latest posts