They're finally hatching/Stagmomantis floridensis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the update Rick. I am not sure the level of cannibalism for this species, but in the wild they can be found close to each other with males riding on the females back. I haven't seen any cannibalism of the adult when i keep them in the group (male and female into separate cage)

Edit: There is a copy of the journal for this species, first published back in 1919.

DAVIS, W. T. (1919). A new Stagmomantis from Florida. Orthoptera-Mantodea. Bulletin of the Brooklyn Entomological Society, 14:

4-7. I have made a copy from my recent trip to TAMU, i will check if there is any good information to share.

Last edited by a moderator:
PLease let me know Yen. That lone nymph from the second ooth died. No others have emerged. The first nymphs are doing well. They have interesting colors with stripes on the front legs. I will get some pics of them here soon.

PLease let me know Yen. That lone nymph from the second ooth died. No others have emerged. The first nymphs are doing well. They have interesting colors with stripes on the front legs. I will get some pics of them here soon.
Went through the pages, unfortunately nothing related to rearing but i thought it is probably still good to share it in this forum, especially for members living in Florida, where Stagmomantis floridensis locations are included. There are also photo of a pair of adult Larger Florida mantis on the page which appear to be similar to the one collected last year.
bulletin_1.jpg

bulletin_2.jpg

bulletin_3.jpg

Again, The reference for Stagmomantis floridensis is from this journal: DAVIS, W. T. (1919). A new Stagmomantis from Florida. Orthoptera-Mantodea. Bulletin of the Brooklyn Entomological Society, 14: 4-7.

Thanks Yen. Care should not be a problem. They are doing well kept under same condtions as other Stagmomantis. I cannot wait until they are mature. It still surprises me that this species was not really in culture already.

Quick update. Molting into L4. This molt took just ten days.

Thanks for the new pic...still don't have anything here from the ooth I've kept inside :(
Maybe it wasn't fertile? My second ooth produced one nymph and it died. That was like two weeks ago. Nothing since then.

Just when I thought i would never seen any hatching, there came about 25-30 nymphs this afternoon. :) This ootheca was left out cool for 2 months, brought it back to incubating temp (85F) on Nov 26th 2009, and hatched today. So it is 2 months after 'cooling period' of 65F (day)/45F (night). So far both of the S. floridensis oothecae without cooling period still show no sign of hatching. :( I have another batch that was brought back to incubating condition on Dec. 26th. Will continue to monitor the hatching pattern for the rest of the oothecae.

Just when I thought i would never seen any hatching, there came about 25-30 nymphs this afternoon. :) This ootheca was left out cool for 2 months, brought it back to incubating temp (85F) on Nov 26th 2009, and hatched today. So it is 2 months after 'cooling period' of 65F (day)/45F (night). So far both of the S. floridensis oothecae without cooling period still show no sign of hatching. :( I have another batch that was brought back to incubating condition on Dec. 26th. Will continue to monitor the hatching pattern for the rest of the oothecae.
That's great news, Yen! Is it okay with you if I start incubating my outside ooth?

Good news Yen. I did not provide a cool period for mine. I wonder if it is necessary? There were some cool nights (65). The nymphs really grow fast. Majority are L4 with a few that just molted into L3.

That's great news, Yen! Is it okay with you if I start incubating my outside ooth?
Thanks Grant. Yes it is incubating time! :)
Good news Yen. I did not provide a cool period for mine. I wonder if it is necessary? There were some cool nights (65). The nymphs really grow fast. Majority are L4 with a few that just molted into L3.
Thanks Rick. Not sure about the cool period but you have proved that it still hatched without one. I was trying to simulate the origin climate for this species so i left them out for couple of months, but I do have couple of oothecae always in the warm room, but none hatch so far.
sfhatch1.jpg

The hatchling is about 9 mm.

L1b.jpg

L1a.jpg

Latest posts