They're finally hatching/Stagmomantis floridensis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
both of mine I got from yen a while back did not hatch either but did cut a small piece off one to look and it was still developing so I am hoping they will hatch eventually!

One of the always incubated ooth (never kept outdoor) hatched 9 nymphs yesterday, and few more today. So looks like this species does hatch without cooling period, but may take a longer period to complete hatching. The ootheca went through cooling period appear to have a better hatching rate on the first 'burst', but continue to hatch about 5-6 nymphs every 1-2 days.

One of the always incubated ooth (never kept outdoor) hatched 9 nymphs yesterday, and few more today. So looks like this species does hatch without cooling period, but may take a longer period to complete hatching. The ootheca went through cooling period appear to have a better hatching rate on the first 'burst', but continue to hatch about 5-6 nymphs every 1-2 days.
That's awesome Yen! Congrats again!

Good news Yen. I prefer burst hatching as well. My second ooth still has had nothing except one come out. But like I said, that one died.

THEY HATCHED!!!!!!! I have been keeping both of my ooths indoors and spraying them daily with distilled water. One is hatching! 5 minutes ago I noticed they were jumping around in the cup! There are 20 of them so far. Sure are some good looking nymphs! Very excited about them!

Last edited by a moderator:
THEY HATCHED!!!!!!! I have been keeping both of my ooths indoors and spraying them daily with distilled water. One is hatching! 5 minutes ago I noticed they were jumping around in the cup! There are 20 of them so far. Sure are soke good looking nymphs! Very excited them!
Good news. Was not aware you had any.

That's great news Roland. Do not chuck the ooth away it will continue to hatch. The ootheca which I kept indoor the whole time has a hatching pattern that keeps me guessing. About 8-9 nymphs hatched this first day, then nothing on the second day, and another 6 nymphs hatched the thrid day, nothing again on the next few days, then yesterday another 30 nymphs hatched out :blink: i would keep misting the ootheca just in case. All the best with the nymphs. The one I have appear to be robust and healthy i haven't seen any mass 'mysterious' death but the hatchling appear to be thirsty all the time.

Arkanis,

Great news! :) Do you know the temp you were keeping them at? Still nothing for me as of early am today :(

kamakiri, indoor about 64 degrees at night about 75 during the day - misted 1x day (pretty good soaking) - at first i kept one outside for about a week but it was just getting too cold and i did not want to kill it so i just kept them both indoors.

Last edited by a moderator:
kamakiri, indoor about 64 degrees at night about 75 during the day - misted 1x day (pretty good soaking) - at first i kept one outside for about a week but it was just getting too cold and i did not want to kill it so i just kept them both indoors.
I've got mine warmer than that...67-68 or so at night and 75 to 80 (now) during the day. I have been misting daily, but I'd say on the light side. :(

I did have one outside for longer than you did until I moved it into the garage which is closer to 50-60 overnight. Only recently was that one moved inside.

I guess I have to wait more...

Lost two this week. One got up under the paper towel at the bottom and died. The other mismolted.

They have been hatching like crazy - now I have about 60 of them! The two day olds don't really seem into eating just yet though. I sprayed the ooth and abraded the zipper a bit - that seemed to make them come out more.

They have been hatching like crazy - now I have about 60 of them! The two day olds don't really seem into eating just yet though. I sprayed the ooth and abraded the zipper a bit - that seemed to make them come out more.
That's pretty good hatching rate Roland! How many days does it take?Couple of days ago there is finally the first 'bursting' type hatching from one of the oothecae brought back from cooling period since 12/19/09. It was under 60F (day)/45F (night) for 3 months. About close to 80 nymphs hatched out in less than 1 hour.

sfhatch1a.jpg

Yen it looks like a cold period may be a good idea on these.

Latest posts