They're finally hatching/Stagmomantis floridensis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two mismolts this weekend. Back legs stuck in the shed. I think I am going to need to mist twice a day instead of once.

Final tally: about 70 from the first ooth hatched over 3 days, about 60 from the 2nd ooth hatched over 3 days. I kept them indoors the whole time (about 65 at night / 75 during day) and misted them 1x a day thorougly soaking them and using humidity foam at the bottom of each pot.

Grant, how long was your oothecae in cooler temperature?

From my batch, the oothecae that went through 3 months cooling period show bursting type hatching, follow by a dozen or less more hatchling in the following 2-3 days.

Saw one hatching a week ago

sfhatch3a.jpg

While taking the pic another one (front ooth) started to hatch too

sfhatch3b.jpg

Both show 'bursting' type hatching pattern

sfhatch3d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Grant, how long was your oothecae in cooler temperature?

From my batch, the oothecae that went through 3 months cooling period show bursting type hatching, follow by a dozen or less more hatchling in the following 2-3 days.
Late January...after I asked about moving them inside.

I hope to have mine hatch more like yours! I've been separating the nymphs after 2 or 3 days of hatching and it's taking up space! :lol:

Thanks for posting the hatching pics. I watched a few hatch last week, but didn't go get the camera...

Checked on them just now and there's one more today :huh: :rolleyes:

Forgot to mention that I do have a couple that appear to be green. Otherwise most are brown bodies with green legs.

That's pretty fast Rick. How big are they now?

L3 is the largest I got right now. The cold weather is not helping. We have snow in Houston yesterday.

My first L2s molted on 2/22 or 15 days from hatching. I think I might need to keep them warmer than the 75-78 daytime temps.

And they do seem to take a while to get 'fat' as L1s. :(

I do have one that hatched recently that must have had an accident after hatching. Its thorax is bent over backwards past 90 degrees! :(

That's pretty fast Rick. How big are they now?

L3 is the largest I got right now. The cold weather is not helping. We have snow in Houston yesterday.
I can get a measurement soon. THey are being kept in the mid 80's.

Yen, the ooth you sent me hatched out about 50 healthy nymphs today. I haven't been misting the ooth and kept it at room temperature.

They are outgrowing the 32 oz cups. :eek: I have to find another option for housing.

Ooths number 3 and 4 started a burst hatching this morning about 8:20. Lots of nymphs from both. How's that for timing? I'll post the pics tonight.

This is one of the ooths. The other pic is not very good through that plastic.

P3100375.jpg

Latest posts